Tire Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
For those of you who thinking about snow chains, I purchased the SCC/Peerless Super Z6 size SZ451 for my 275/55/20's. I installed them to the rear tires in my garage (as per Ford owners manual) and they are easy to install and remove. The instructions that came with the chains suggest to test install them so you know how to do it because it will in a different environment when you actually need to use it (i.e. freezing cold up in the mountains). Going skiing during Spring Break so hope it will not be needed but just in case. My tires are the OEM Hankook Dyna ATm and I've already been in the snow a few times w/o needing chains (my Expy is a 4WD) so the chains is just an extra measure of safety.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if you only have 2 chains and 4 wheel drive, do you fit the chains to the front wheels (drive & steering) or the rear wheels (drive only)? I thought Ford recommended not fitting chains to the front but it seems the best location? Just curious..

Oldwhatshisname

Reaction score
I would put the chains on the rear wheels and consider running in 2wd based on what feels best.
I had a time when I had to put my only set of chains on the front wheels (couldn't access the rear) and drove in 4wd. NEVER AGAIN! The rear end kept going sideways and trying to pass the front!
Simple fact: chains on the front provide nothing if 4wd is not engaged, make the vehicle uncontrollable if it is.

Oldwhatshisname

Reaction score
I have to add that the best of all worlds is chains on all 4 wheels, based on some careful testing done years ago by a guy who lives in snow country.

OP
OP
K

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
So if you only have 2 chains and 4 wheel drive, do you fit the chains to the front wheels (drive & steering) or the rear wheels (drive only)? I thought Ford recommended not fitting chains to the front but it seems the best location? Just curious..
If I need to use the chains, I plan to install them in the rear and engage 4WD and drive slow in Snow mode (4A) or Mud/Rut mode (4H).