Tire pressure monitoring system when rotating tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to reset the tire pressure monitoring system when the tires are rotated on these vehicles? Since the system reports the pressures by individual wheel positions, rotation of the tires would require some sort of reset to ensure that the pressures are reported correctly. The following is from page 359 of manual: "If the tire label shows different tire pressures for the front and rear tires and the vehicle has a tire pressure monitoring system, then you need to update the settings for the system sensors. Always perform the system reset procedure after tire rotation. If you do not reset the system, it may not provide a low tire pressure warning when necessary." However, I could not find any explanation in the manual on how to perform the system reset. Anyone have experience with this?

Dennis48755

Reaction score
Great thread, thanks for the information. I never thought about the need for retraining the TPMS and I was nearing the time to rotate my tires.

Dennis

Dennis48755

Reaction score
Unfortunately the steps in the video do not appear to work for my 2018 Expedition. Never got horn honk pressing Hazard Warning button.

Having the service manual (on CDROM), I was able to locate the TPMS Sensor Location Calibration procedure. The bad news is, it appears to require a special service tool: 204-D081A (204-D081) to train the sensors.

There is a procedure to enter training mode without a special tool. It is as follows...

1. NOTE: The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN Left Front (LF) TIRE.

With the ignition OFF, press and release the brake pedal.

2. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

3. Press and release the brake pedal.

4. Position the ignition to OFF position.

5. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

The following are the next steps that require the special tool...

TPMS Sensor Training Procedure

1. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the special tool must remain in place at the valve stem. Place the special tool on the Left Front (LF) tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM. Use Special Service Tool : 204-D081A (204-D081) Tire Pressure Monitor (TPMS)

2. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the special tool on the Right Front (RF) tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the Right Front (RF) tire pressure sensor.

Use Special Service Tool : 204-D081A (204-D081) Tire Pressure Monitor (TPMS)

3. Repeat Step 1 for the Right Rear (RR) and Left Rear (LR) tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by positioning the ignition to OFF without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the ignition is positioned to OFF, the training procedure was not successful.

4. Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor identifiers trained to the BCM and document them on the applicable warranty claim. Use Special Service Tool : 204-D081A (204-D081) Tire Pressure Monitor (TPMS)

5. NOTE: This step is required to clear DTC B1182:55, cause the BCM to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed BCM. If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new BCM , clear any DTC and carry out the BCM On-Demand Self Test.

Following the first group of steps, I was able to get into training mode. Just for grins, hoping it would work, I tried bleeding air from the left front tire (only 3-4 lbs) but it did not trigger a horn beep.

Dennis

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The method in the video works on my 2018 XLT. Remember to push the start button without the brake depressed to enter into accessory only mode. You have to have the key on you to enter accessory power only mode, no engine start. Then turn on and then off the hazard light button three times, on/off, on/off, on/off. The TPMS training mode hscreen will come on and give you further instructions.
1. Turn on accessory mode only
2. Turn on and turn off hazards three times in a row
3. TPMS training screen comes on in center console display, follow directions by releasing air until horn honks.

Dennis48755

Reaction score
My Bad!

Edistobob, you are absolutely correct and it does indeed work or my 2018 Expedition. I was not following the video closely enough.

This is my first experience with a push button start vehicle and I have been spending a lot of time just sitting in the front seats fiddling with and being amazed with the technology. But I have been toying with what is equivalent to the "accessories" and "on" position with a keyed ignition. Finally I looked in the owners manual and it stated...

On: All electrical circuits are operational and the warning lamps and indicators illuminate.
• Without applying the brake pedal, press and release the button twice.

So I was mistakenly doing the two button press to get into accessories mode.

Dennis

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
Great thread and thanks for the information. I just had mine rotated at Discount Tire - the guy told me that it could only be done with a special tool. Glad to see that there is in fact another method!

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Old thread but I wanted to confirm how to reset the TPMS after a tire rotation. I assume this will work on my 21.

1. Turn on accessory mode only
2. Turn on and turn off hazards three times in a row
3. TPMS training screen comes on in center console display, follow directions by releasing air until horn honks.