tire questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick733

Reaction score
just bought a 2000 exp. xlt for an ever expanding family and to meet the wishes of the ol' lady. I am hoping to turn it into a hunting/4x4 toy and i am wondering what are the biggest tires that will fit into a bone stock expedition...since i have always hated stock fords because the look like the tires are too small for the wells.....thanks

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a stock rim....

16" - LT255/85R16 or LT285/75R16

285's will fit, but may be a bit too wide for the stock rim.

17" - LT285/70R17

All sizes are about 33" tall. You may be able to fit larger tires on the truck. With "stock" in mind, those sizes will be your best bets. If you're out wheelin' in the thing, you don't want the tires to rub. The above sizes shouldn't.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have to air-down when you go off-road (like in the sand) then I'd be a little cautious about putting a too-wide tire on a wheel...you could pop a bead.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see you recommended all LT type of tires...what do you recommend for P type tires on the stock 16" rim for a 4x4?