Tire rub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SigepKat

Reaction score
I know a 35/12.50R18 will rub with a 3/2 lift, but would a 325/65/18 fit okay? That's a 34.6x12.8, so a little shorter, but a little wider. If it will, I'll go w/305/65/18 which is a 33.6x12, which would, I think, fit w/out rubbing...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Chris

OP
OP
SigepKat

SigepKat

Reaction score
True, forgot to mention that...stock rims, so whatever the stock offset is.

CM

PSD Bullitt

Reaction score
In my looking at the tire options I was not comfortable with going near as wide as you are talking about on the stock rims. Not just due to the rubbing but mainly because I don't believe the wheel is wide enough for all that tire!

So, I'm looking at a new set of tires and wheels since my tires need to be replaced anyway.

Here is a link to the wheels I"m considering and they have an offset of 12mm. The stock wheels are at 44 so these will move the center of the wheel out 32mm (44-12=32 mm). They are 9" wheels instead of the stock 8.5" so the overall offset is still equivalent to about 1" out from the struts to help with rubbing issues.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-rocker/p/48216

FWIW, even with slightly wider wheels I'm still only going to a 295/70/18 tire. That is wide enough for me and is standard enough of a size to have numerous tire options that don't break the bank! :)

I have the 3/2 lift to be installed as well.

DNFF

Reaction score
Just installed 2017 Raptor wheels and tires on my 15 over the weekend. Had to remove the running boards due to clearance. Minor rubbing of the inner fender while turning.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember theirs a range that you can safely mount wider or in some cases narrower tires on any rim. That range usually is up to 1 1/2 to 2 inches. When you mount a smaller diameter tire on say a 9 inch rim, 265 vs 275 it will actually be narrower than if same tire was mounted on a 8 1/2 inch rim. High performance manufactures mount tires on wider than practical rims to stiffen ride and elimanate flex in corners. On a car that is used for high performance handling , that's the goal. Their looking for ultimate grip in corners. The trade-off is a choppy ride, and risk of rim hitting curbside vs tire. We on the other hand 4 wheeling are looking for the opposite. A tire that absorbs rocks, ruts, and grips climbing up tough terrain.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker