To the Max or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had both, but with recent models, my 2022 Max is more useful than my 2019 non-Max. My 2004 non-Max was better than my 2010 Max. Situations flip-flop.

I don't park in a garage, so that's not a deciding factor for me. The ability to drive with grandparents and carry luggage trumps everything else.

The only downside is that I'm so used to the SWB that I constantly back up wrong. I'll get over it, I suppose.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go on longer trips, get the Max for the fuel tank alone. The shorty has a much smaller gas tank.
I'll never understand buying a large SUV, but then wanting it "smaller". I wish they offered a MAX MAX, I'd trade mine today.....

This.

The Max is basically the length of a F150 crew cab with a 5.5 foot bed.

Too bad no one makes a 3/4 ton full size SUV these days...

Mack444

Reaction score
I have the same desire for the 3/4 ton SUV…
Still family hauling in my 2002 excursion 7.3, but ready to upgrade technology side since kids are starting to actually clean up after themselves.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No one ever writes in and says I really wish my truck was shorter. MAX is best. And yes, I had (2) gen I's, and (5) gen II's; but, when the gen III's came out, I went for MAX only.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Max is basically the length of a F150 crew cab with a 5.5 foot bed.
Actually, Ford shows the difference is 11.6". F150 CC 5.5' bed is 231.7" tip to tip. The Expedition MAX is 220.1". I have both. the turning radius on my Expedition MAX is significantly shorter than the F150 as well. It's not only that much shorter, it "feels" that much shorter.

Last edited:

Mack444

Reaction score
Big reason I would now consider the nonMAX is because same weight rating w/ less vehicle means larger tow capacity. Things like the Yakima EXO system and other rack/box options increase the appeal too.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll always have a MAX or equivalent. If you don’t have a larger vehicle, currently, you will justify that you don’t ‘need’ the space. When you have it, you use it, though, even if rarely.

The MAX (as already noted) has a slightly larger fuel tank, and the longer wheel base, I believe, gives a slightly better ride. The turning radius is amazing for a truck of this size.

Bottom line, it’s good to have it and not need it.

m3bs

Reaction score
There are times when I would appreciate the Max. While it has a slightly lower tow rating, I'd like to think the longer wheelbase would provide better ride and handling stability when towing. The extra range would really be appreciated when towing as well. Now that I'm driving mine as a daily driver, I do appreciate the slightly better maneuverability in tight parking lots that my standard model has, not to mention being able to fit in my garage with inches to spare.

But I have been looking at Max inventory recently......

Dahammer

Reaction score
A longer vehicle always has a better ride (softness), especially when the road has unevenness or potholes.
A shorter vehicle, well, let me say, can be a bone rattler, especially over potholes and road unevenness.