To the Max or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted a MAX, Coming from an Excursion. But when I was looking, only black on black was available. So I went with a standard.
I don't regret it at all, as I would never do in my Platinum, what I did in my Excursion. The extra room in the back is nice, for me only to get the 3rd row further away from the back of the vehicle. But unlike the Excursion, we are only talking 12 inches.
As a previous 7.3 PSD Excursion owner, NOTHING will match up to that vehicle, load it up with people, cargo, trailers, that machine handled it all with grace and comfort.

Truck Trailer Car 4.JPG

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We bought the shorter vehicle. I preferred more room in the garage and it meets our needs 95% of the time. Occasionally the Max would be beneficial, but overall, I would stiill buy the shorter version.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
I went from a '20 Explorer to the Expedition. I have 4 kids in car seats. It was an expensive lesson, never sacrifice room behind the third row unless you plan to leave it down most of the time. The Expy Max has a better turning radius than my wife's jeep Cherokee.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a previous 7.3 PSD Excursion owner, NOTHING will match up to that vehicle, load it up with people, cargo, trailers, that machine handled it all with grace and comfort.

View attachment 78023
I couldn't agree more. The only complaint I ever had was gas mileage. The reason I sold it and traded up, was because of the age of the vehicle. I owned it 22 years and felt it was time. I will admit, even though I miss it, my Platinum is like driving the USS Starship Enterprise.;)

Attachments

• 20230128_092924.jpg
    20230128_092924.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 7

z71kris

Reaction score
As a former Tahoe owner, when we had the third row in and took family trips it was cramped. Hated it. I thought we need a suburban. When we were looking this time we looking at tahoes again I thought we are going to have the same problem. When take trips we take me wife and 2 teen boys and usually the in-laws. With the luggage there was no room. So we got the max with a Myrtle Beach trip being planned, we are taking 6 people and luggage for 8 and shouldn’t have a problem. The turning radius is amazing on the max too. I can not believe how good it is. Just my 2 cents.

BP 09

Reaction score
I have 4 kids, 2 of which are in car seats, with a shorty and I am happy with it. 3rd row stays folded down when kids arent back there so I have no need for a max. Wouldn't mind having that extra room when travelling with all 4 kids though. Plus the larger fuel tank would be a plus.

If you can find a MAX with the features you want, I can't see the point in buying a shorty. Personally I love my XLT shorty.

abnmike

Reaction score
Haven’t had a short explorer but we went from a Dodge Caravan to an XLT for two reasons: space and tow.

Two adults, two kids in car seats, two Irish setters. Dogs take up the space behind the third row. It’s still large enough to throw a bag or two back there with them. Non XLT and it would be dogs only.

For road trips our 4 yo car seat goes in the third row, infant in second. This gives my wife the ability to sit in pax, second, or third row. Also we take a portable child potty so she can quickly unstrap the 4 yo for a pee break without a 20 minute stop.

I hate crowded vehicles so I still use a roof rack carrier for longer trips (playpen, bags, beach stuff). We also paddleboard and canoe and the longer length is better.

Looked at excursions but didn’t like that I had to remove the third row for 4x8 plywood or drywall.

Raposa

Reaction score
If the standard had the big fuel tank I would have gone with that. I like going 500 miles between fuel stops

khammer

Reaction score
We upgraded from the Edge and my wife believes it had a better trunk space than our SWB Expedition for a couple of reason. We have captain chairs in the Exp so even with the 3rd row folded, the truck space is not blocked off and separate from the 2nd row, (would be different w/ bench option). She liked the ability to put a cage up and keep dogs and items out of the second row.

We have 2 kids under 5 but rarely have the 3rd row folded all the way. Usually at least one side is flipped up for the nephew or for us to ride back there and entertain on trips. Sister-in-law has the max and I can definitely see how it would be convenient to have the extra space in trunk for strollers/wagons and all the kid stuff. On our 2 vacations a year, I throw a luggage bag the roof. I drive an f150 so length of car and garage would not be a huge deal. I can also see how the larger fuel tank would be nice as it seems she is always putting gas in the Expedition, especially compared to my truck with the 36 gal tank. On trips, we are stopping for break and potty long before I would ever run out of gas anyways.

Ultimately we decided on SWB as she was coming from the edge and with only 2 kids, her perception was the MAX would be way too long and hard to drive/park and we thought it would be sufficient for space and passengers. I would entertain a max if I was shopping right now but I can also see us in a Aviator for her next car so who knows what will happen.

Galaxieman

Reaction score
Pros for the Max:

1. Fuel tank - It's a big deal when just driving on road trips. It's a HUGE deal when towing. Pulling our 30' RV trailer we average ~7mpg, so every extra gallon onboard helps. It's not quite as good as the 36 gallon tank in my F-150, but it's still better than the SWB.
2. 4'x8' plywood - A number of vehicles ago we had a standard length 3rd gen Expy, and not being able to grab a full-size sheet of plywood is just annoying. It's not an every day thing, but when you need to, you need to. Needed two 1/4 sheets for a project, but when it's cheaper to grab a full sheet than two 1/4 sheets... having the option to put all the seats down and get the full sheet home was very, very helpful (wife had my truck).
3. Rear seat space- Ingress/egress for 3rd row is easier with the Max. We've got captain's chairs in the 2nd row of our Max so it's normally not an issue, but we're in a rental SWB w/o them while our truck is in the shop, and it's noticeably more annoying to get to the 3rd row past the wheelwells.
4. Towing - Forget the supposed extra couple of hundred pounds of towing capacity with the SWB. The longer wheelbase of the Max makes towing more comfortable. Both would benefit from a larger rear swaybar, but that's easy to swap out. Extra wheelbase not so much.
5. Advanced cargo management - While the shelf with ACM makes more sense in the SWB, having the extra storage compartment directly behind the seat in the Max is another bonus.

Neutral:
1. Turning radius - Its ~1' smaller with the SWB, but the max is still 2' smaller than a crew-cab F-150, so between the Expys it's macht nichts.

Cons:

1. Parking - If the SWB will fit in the garage and the Max won't...