Torque Converter? Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziggityzag

Reaction score
I recently received a 2000 Expedition XLT 4x4 auto trans. It has 189k on it. It is having some issues though. When I start it up there is a bit of a vibration to it. Not bad maybe just how these things are? But when I put it in gear either D or R it starts shaking really bad. My wife described is being worse than my old 95 Powerstroke lol.

When I start out from a stop the engine revs and seems strong but the truck doesn't really want to go anywhere. As it's moving it will rev up around 3k and not making as much speed as you would think it would for the amount of noise the engine is making. Once its time to shift its shifts smooth just in the way you would think it should.

What has me thinking its torque converter related is the fact that the motor revs and the power doesnt get to the ground, it shakes really bad when at a stoplight/sign, its a really rough ride when doing 30-45ish and smooths out over 45 and under 30, I did a stall speed test and it's at around 1300-1600 and the trans fluid is a bit brown.

I have done a lot of googling and searching on here but this is all I can come up with. Any ways I can know without a doubt that its the torque converter before I going pulling a tranny?

Thanks In Advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Z

ziggityzag

Reaction score
No check engine light at all. Or any other trouble indicators for that matter. I'm thinking something worn out in the trans I just can't be for certain at this moment. I really want to know it is without a shadow of a doubt before I go spending the money and dropping transmissions out.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Docraymond hit it right on this one. Trans overhaul or replacement. Have you considered the bands and clutches may be slipping which results in the brown trans fluid?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watch this video from Allison transmission - they make small auto/truck to very large semi trans.