Torque Steer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleR

Reaction score
I have an 03 5.4 4x4 that used to wander the road bad, spent a decent amount of $ and time making it drive better and its way better, replaced the front upper control arms, all new struts, belltech beefy rear swaybar, and planning to do front links soon. I got the wander down x10 but its still wandering the road, only recently did I notice its only when I have my foot on the gas cruising or w/e. Touch the gas itll have a slight pull to the left that you must counter steer to about the 1-2 o' clock position. Let off the gas and it'll rebound right. Coasting or in Neutral the truck drives perfectly straight-even with hands off the wheel it stays in lane.

Is torque steer even possible on a RWD? I crawled underneath and all the bushings from the diff to mounts look solid, no clunking either. Alignment is perfect, suspension solid as well, tire pressure good, tire tread good. Could weak belts in a tire(s) cause this? They are cheap tires (Kelly) that came with it but had low miles so I kept them on.

Thanks

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Torque steer generally refers to front-wheel drive vehicles that have unequal length half-shafts (drive shafts), and a fair amount of engine power or torque.

When driving straight, unless the tires break traction, there is no torque steer. The torque steer comes into play when the driver accelerates rapidly and turns the steering wheel - the unequal length half-shafts and the torque causes the torque steer feeling.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had this problem on an Excursion. Very common on those trucks. Tried everything. Here's a longshot:

Have you investigated the rear suspension? The Excursion's rear axle would actually tilt when applying gas, changing the wheelbase unevenly. In that case, replacing spring snubbers solved the problem by limiting wrap-up. Perhaps you have rear suspension part wear that's causing one rear wheel to shift unevenly.

Just a thought.

Spin your tires too. Could be a hanging up caliper, some tight bearing or bad tire?

OP
OP
K

KyleR

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I thought about that FWD too I guess I should have said its simulating like it has torque steer, apply torque and it requires a counter steer, although it definitely isn't IN the steering wheel the whole truck just kinda drifts that way on its own doesn't jerk the wheel I'm thinking its from the rear causing it to "flex" that way.

I will get it up in the air and check for a seizing wheel I thought that as well but didn't bother checking because I figured it would do the opposite (Drive straight on the gas and then drift while coasting). I will still check it though, I do know a wheel bearing is bad its still solid I've had it up before but it does rumble when leaving a stop at a turn sometimes. This truck does have limited slip with 207k miles I was also wondering about maybe something in the unit failing. I'll check what Trainmaster suggested and get back thanks

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check sway bar bushings and tie rods too.
When you say alignment is perfect, do you mean an alignment shop said it is aligned perfectly or drives straight going down the road? These aren't always the same thing.