Torque Wrench Calibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just re-calibrated my click style torque wrench today and thought I would share. FYI, this was learned from other posts on the internet so I can't claim the idea.

In my case, I purchased a fish scale (luggage scale can work also) for $20. There are cheaper ones but this one is at least water resistant so I can use it to weigh, well fish!

Measure from the center of the socket plug to the middle of your torque wrench handle. You will need that measurement for the math and, that is the point on the handle you will put the fish scale when you start. Clamp the socket plug in your bench vise, making sure the rest of the wrench is above the bench vise. Next take that measurement from earlier, in my case the distance from socket plug to middle of handle was 15 inches. The math went like this:

15" divided by 12" (foot per pound is the scale) is 1.25"
Then I just wrote down in 10lb increments the expected weight required to make the torque wrench click.
i.e.
10/1.25 = 8lbs (that is the reading you should have on the fish scale when the torque wrench clicks}
20/1.25 = 16lbs
30/1.25 = 24lbs
and so on and so on

Then use the fish/luggage scale to check a setting on your torque wrench. Suggested was roughly mid range of the torque wrench capabilities. I started lower, at 30lbs/in, and discovered my wrench was not accurate at all. Adjustment on my wrench was to remove the back nut at the end of the wrench and tighten the tube inside (that the nut tightens on) by turning to the right. That tightens against the spring on the inside. Opposite, left, to lower the weight required.

Hope someone else finds this info of use.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a torque wrench, but need one periodically to tighten the compressive band on my swimming pool DE filter.

That is exactly the technique I use to measure torque on a wrench I use to tighten the bolt.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Alwaysthinkin

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a torque wrench, but need one periodically to tighten the compressive band on my swimming pool DE filter.

That is exactly the technique I use to measure torque on a wrench I use to tighten the bolt.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I did see while researching that people were using this method in place of an actual torque wrench. Sounds like it works for you. Kinda of fun to find work arounds sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani