Beware of reman alternator cases!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ04

Reaction score
I just went through quite a hassle with the alternator on my 2004 Expy. Got the replacement, a reman in a Motocraft case. Alternator appears to function perfectly; but when I went to tighten two screws which hold the alternator case and the top brace/bracket together the threads in the case gave way pretty quickly. I used an inch pound torque wrench set to the Ford recommended 79 inch poinds and one of the threads gave up right away, the other I just tightened snug by hand without the tq wrench. My guess is that the threads in the case were weak because, being a reman, it had been installed by someone else previously and that someone used either an air wrench or an electric wrench. Those3 tools can ruin parts in the wrong hands, great for removal not for installation however.
Comments?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hate having to do things twice and everyone just says sorry. My time is worth something too. I got tired of it so I stopped getting anything that plugs in from Advanced Auto and I hear sorry a lot less. Just my experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani