Torsion Bars Please Help????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I drive a 98 XLT. Im debating whether i want to get a 3 in. body lift or Tighten up my torsion bars. Im most likely going to get the body lift but for the meantime how do i go about doing it. Im kind of new to the Truck world. Do i have to buy a Torsion Bar Key. There pretty Expensive. 100 to 130 Bucks. And a body lift is like 230. So im wondering how hard it is to do. I know where the torsion bolts are. Just wondering how to tighten them up. Please help. Also Pictures of my Ex will be posted Today

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I just use a 18mm socket and breaker bar.

I sprayed some WD-40 on the bolt about 10 minutes before I attempted the twist.

If someone is reading this who isn't sure how to do it.......
Lay under the b pillar and you will see the round bar coming from the front. follow it back and you will see an arm with a bolt. on the passenger side and another bolt across from it coming down on the drivers side. if you loosen the bolt the front of your truck comes down if you tighten it, it goes up.
I got almost 2 inches when I did mine on my 98 Eddie Bauer.

Then I just lifted each side a few turns at a time tilll I went up close to 2 inches. Drove around , remeasured, then adjusted, did the same the next day.

Some people lift the truck off the ground to do this, I just left the wheels on the level ground. Lots easier to make little adjustments to make sure it's level on both sides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheOnlyExiLove
Reaction score
Torsion Bars

I have air bags in the back will i still need the spacers or levelers?? Should i get the 3 inch body lift or is the torsion bars a better way.. And how do i know when they are tightened enough? Also ive been reading. will it make it stiffer? They said its hard on your cvs? What is the key For???

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stock keys will be fine under the pressure. It will stiffen the ride a little, but it won't wear anything out any faster than it wears out normally. I would say go for it.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My rig is done this way, I actually despise the way it rides. Had I been more savvy and discovered this when I looked at it, I may have reconsidered.

It WILL raise the vehicle with a 3" space on the back though.