Tow package, trailer brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anishemaya

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me. Here is what I know about my truck from the dealer & experience. First it’s 2012 4wd xl. It has the rearend that gives it the 9k towing. There is a tow haul button on the gear shift that displays tow haul on the dash. It does not have the 7pin plug or a brake controller. I also understand the truck was first used as a rental car. Here are my questions. 1. Since it has the tow haul button does that mean it has the tow package or does that button just control the transmission? 2. How do I know if it has that special towing radiator? 3. If I just buy a trailer brake like I have for every other truck and install it myself do I need to have the dealership (or someone) “program” the truck? 4. Is there any performance difference between an OEM trailer brake v/s aftermarket? 5. Is there a particular aftermarket brake controller that works better with my Expy? 6. Will the 7 pin plug just plug in under the rear bumper? Thanks in advance for the sage wisdom & knowledge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No 7 pin so you don’t have the package.

Tow haul just adjusts transmission shift points.

You can look in the grill to see if you have the added trans cooler it is mounted to the front of the radiator.
Without those you won’t have the upgraded radiator either but that is cheap and easy swap.
But without a 7 pin (unless someone swapped it after factory delivery for an unknown reason) you won’t.

Yes you can just add an aftermarket controller like your other trucks with no programming needed.

I know the 2015+ models have the brake wire capped behind the 4 pin. If you use that with the factory controller one needs to activate it in ForScan.

Aftermarket vs OEM performance all depends on which aftermarket you chose. I have no working knowledge of aftermarket controllers.

A 7 pin won’t just plug in. You’ll need to buy an adapter kit but you’ll have to wire in the brake wire as well.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For my 2015 XLT (Ex-Rental), it came with the Class IV towing package. Not the HD towing package. So I just had the light duty receiver on the back, no brake controller, and just the 4pin connector. Boo.

I added the brake controler (Ford Factory) and enabled it in the software via the Forscan programming software. The wiring harness was in place, so that was easy. I then had the Ford 7/4 Pin connector installed. This required the pig tails that included the brake wires along with all else.

My Receiver still isn't the HD receiver, so I'm not going to try to tow the 9000lbs. I could replace it with a HD model, that that's like another $300+. I'm towing a scout trailer, not a large Camper, Boat, or Work Trailer. So no need for that.

I haven't checked to see if I have the HD Radiator or Trans cooler. But I've towed already and temps have stayed normal.

I think that the Tow Button on the transmission is standard if you have any tow package, but might even be standard on any Expedition.