Tow rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't tow a trailer and know nothing about it so please forgive my ignorance. But looking at this towing guide I noticed it mentions that, while driving, the TBC slider should not be used to independently activate the trailer brakes if the trailer is swaying. I'm just curious, if you are in a situation where the trailer is swaying, wouldn't it be helpful to let the expy coast and apply some trailer braking to help stop the sway and straighten it out? Since they advise against this I must be wrong but can't figure out why.
"Sway" is not "OMG its fishtailing!" Sway is more like a meandering and is most commonly caused by wind, either a cross wind or a passing vehicle. If you're loaded correctly it should correct itself. If it begins to move for no apparent reason, and does it a few times in the first 10-20 miles at speed, your load is wrong. Pull over and correct the imbalance in the trailer.

If its fishtailing.....apply the brakes slowly until it gets back in line, then pull over and check your balance and the hitch. Have a smoke. It'll calm the nerves a bit. If you simply can't get control of it, squeeze the crap out of that dash knob. Don't worry about "upsetting the tow". You're already there.

OP
OP
D

Dj Holland

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help you reassured my wife as she had concern about the ability of the truck lol

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help you reassured my wife as she had concern about the ability of the truck lol
The Expedition is a great tow vehicle. I was skeptical when I bought it because I was coming from a '92 Suburban with a 5.7. From my point of view it was a smaller tow vehicle with a slightly smaller motor. In reality, it tows better. The transmission automatically adjusts gearing to tow much better. I can definitely feel it where the first 15 minutes seem sluggish but it gradually improves. I am probably going to buy another Expedition when the time comes.

OP
OP
D

Dj Holland

Reaction score
This is replacement for our 2012 Navi l that we towed our travel trailer with so I’m sure it will be good. She saw that number online and got all scared lol

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, Tow/Haul mode on the transmission is amazing. Sometimes I even use it when I have 6 teenagers and camping gear in the truck, it helps me out when I forget how heavy I am when coming up to a stoplight.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also wanted to point out if you have questions regarding any vehicle's tow rating check out http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides. I've been going to this site for years. Aside from engines, some trucks are broken down by transmission and axle used. Having a long bed vs short bed also alters how much you can tow. At the top of the guide they highlight tow vehicles for that year and make comparisons against their competition.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also wanted to point out if you have questions regarding any vehicle's tow rating check out http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides. I've been going to this site for years. Aside from engines, some trucks are broken down by transmission and axle used. Having a long bed vs short bed also alters how much you can tow. At the top of the guide they highlight tow vehicles for that year and make comparisons against their competition.

So, using the Trailer Life Towing Guide it says a 2014 Ford Expedition 2WD is 9200 and 4WD is 6000. My Expy has a 4WD selector switch. Does that mean it rated at only 6000 even I'm towing in 2WD?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, using the Trailer Life Towing Guide it says a 2014 Ford Expedition 2WD is 9200 and 4WD is 6000. My Expy has a 4WD selector switch. Does that mean it rated at only 6000 even I'm towing in 2WD?

No the 4x4 with HD tow from 2007-2014 is 9,000 pounds even.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Go back and re-read it as you either misread it or didn't understand it.

Jexpedition07 is correct