Towing question / charging trailer battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyra

Reaction score
Today I was told by my RV dealer (will be picking up new trailer next week) that fords are the one brand that in order to charge your trailer battery while driving you need to have a special part (cannot remember the name) plugged into the fuse box so the battery will charge. I guess it is a safety feature so your truck battery doesn’t accidentally get drained if you forget to unplug at the camp site. Im wondering if I got the heavy duty tow package, does this already come with the truck or do I still need to order it and install? I have a 2022 ford expedition limited SSP with HD tow. Thanks!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never heard of this. It just drains the battery if you don't unplug. The camper should have a battery cutoff and you usually unplug at the site, or at least connect shore power.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about a travel trailer battery, or the emergency breakaway switch battery. I hope the truck charges the emergency breakaway battery when the trailer is connected and truck running.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I was told by my RV dealer (will be picking up new trailer next week) that fords are the one brand that in order to charge your trailer battery while driving you need to have a special part (cannot remember the name) plugged into the fuse box so the battery will charge. I guess it is a safety feature so your truck battery doesn’t accidentally get drained if you forget to unplug at the camp site. Im wondering if I got the heavy duty tow package, does this already come with the truck or do I still need to order it and install? I have a 2022 ford expedition limited SSP with HD tow. Thanks!
Not sure about a special part, more like a fuse in place. If you have a HD tow package and a 7-pin plug it should charge the trailer battery while on the road. You do not want to leave the RV plugged to the car at camp, it will draw from the truck and can also cause issues if you plug in the RV's power cord to a pedistal like blowing a fuse or breaker on the camper. Been there done that, not fun.

ediddily

Reaction score
I believe its just adding the right missing fuse. You can always stick a multimeter in the trailer plug ports on the car. But as everyone else says, when you're at camp, unhitch and unplug from the car.