Towing question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman

Reaction score
Is it ok to tow in overdrive? I'm pulling a trailer that's about 4000 pounds. My 03 EB 4x4 has the towing package & the 5.4 motor. Thanks for the input.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It should be in your owners manual.

But I would leave it in overdrive unless you find it shifting frequently.... typically on long inclines. You should be able to get a "feel" when you should turn it off and even anticipate it. I also turn it off sometimes on long declines for the extra braking effect of the motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

Reaction score
I will look in the manual. I just bought it & I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

jkill351

Reaction score
I just blew my trans in an 03 setup just like yours. My quad trailer is a similar weight and at83000. I promise any fuel you save in overdrive will be nill after replacement. I have a bigger aftermarket trans cooler. I always used od on flats and took it out on hills. I'm replacing the trans tomorrow for 2600, and wish I'd have saved $ by leaving it off. Don't make my mistake. On a tahoe instead of saying overdrive its a picture of a trailer.

jkill351

Reaction score
Oh and the way my mechanic put it " higher rpm more fluid movement more cooling"

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

Reaction score
Oh and the way my mechanic put it " higher rpm more fluid movement more cooling"

Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound like I'll be using the overdrive. I know the original owner never pulled anything with it so they couldn't have ruined anything in the tranny.