Toyo Open Country Tires vs Goodyear Wrangler Adventure Kevlar Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaxs

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition with the stock Toyo Open Country tires and a little over 40k miles on them. I would estimate 40% tread left. I just bought a cpo 2016 F150 with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure Kevlar tires. They are the same size as the Expedition tires and look new. I'll be putting some BFG KO2 tires on the truck and trying to decide whether to sell the Goodyear tires or swap them to the Expedition. Do you think the Goodyears will perform well on the Expedition? Expedition is mostly a family hauler.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't that impressed with the Toyo AT's I had, I haven't used the GY you listed but I would guess they have better traction based on experience with other tires. They probably won't last as long as toyos though. The toyos we fine tires, expensive, heavier than I think they should be, last fine, perform fine. I felt the same about the Toyo MT's too. To date, the GY duratrac has been my favorite all around tire.

I hated the original KO's so bad that I swore off BFG forever but I am tempted by the KO2 but I keep slapping myself to remind me of the crap the others were. The Falken wildpeak AT is one I would consider on the expedition. Some people love the BFG's but I hated myself all three times I bought them.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are they passenger or LT rated? That will make a big difference in ice and snow. The LT tires are 3-peak rated, the P tires are not. And it's also why some reviewers rave about how awesome they are in the snow while others complain about how crappy they are.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To date, the GY duratrac has been my favorite all around tire...I am tempted by the KO2
Keep in mind that GY duratracs are available in a p-rated 118 load (just like the OEM tires). If you go the K02 route, you'll have to get an E rated tire which will change your ride considerably...

OP
OP
S

Shaxs

Reaction score
I went and checked out both sets of tires. I cannot find a P or LT rating on either set. I just see M + S, each have 7 ply. Not sure how to tell if they are passenger tires or light truck tires.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went and checked out both sets of tires. I cannot find a P or LT rating on either set. I just see M + S, each have 7 ply. Not sure how to tell if they are passenger tires or light truck tires.
They’ll either be 275x65x18 118 (passenger or P tires) or LT275x65x18 E (Light Truck or LT) The other way to check is the printed inflation pressure: the truck tries will have a max inflation pressure of ~80PSI, if I remember correctly.
I have the P rated version on my Expedition. For OEM tires, I’m happy with them. They definitely have better traction than the Michelins that were on it at delivery. Mileage took a small hit, but I expected that.

Backinblack

Reaction score
I can't say about the Toyo's but I do have the Goodyear Wranglers on now and they are a lot better than the Michelin Primacy All Season tires that were on originally. The Wranglers are ATs and are very good in the snow yet provide a very comfortable ride year round in the Expedition.

Backinblack

Reaction score
I can't say about the Toyo's but I do have the Goodyear Wranglers on now and they are a lot better than the Michelin Primacy All Season tires that were on originally. The Wranglers are ATs and are very good in the snow yet provide a very comfortable ride year round in the Expedition.

OP
OP
S

Shaxs

Reaction score
They’ll either be 275x65x18 118 (passenger or P tires) or LT275x65x18 E (Light Truck or LT) The other way to check is the printed inflation pressure: the truck tries will have a max inflation pressure of ~80PSI, if I remember correctly.
I have the P rated version on my Expedition. For OEM tires, I’m happy with them. They definitely have better traction than the Michelins that were on it at delivery. Mileage took a small hit, but I expected that.

I have 275/55/R20 with a Max psi of 51.

20200128_083918.jpg 20200128_083928.jpg 20200128_083934.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shaxs

Reaction score

That's good to know. They have much more tread left so maybe I will just put those on.