New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've gone through a few different variations of the Defenders and have them on my '11 now. I pushed one set to 75k+. My last set went to ~72k. They're great in dry and rain. They handle spirited driving well too. :p I find them to be acceptable in the snow, but not as good as the Pirelli Scorpions I had on there way back when. The Pirellis wore really quickly though and after I burned through 2 sets in ~70k I gave up on them.
Happily I won’t have any issues with snow having moved from Chicago to South Carolina. And being retired, I can plan any trips back north for periods of weather that are not inclusive of snow.

Thanks for the feedback!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hot summers mild winters Michelin LT tire is good. No snow I’d be headed that direction for a tire. But with snow and hot weather combo difficult combo to find a good tire the BFG Trail Terrain has been really good so far with very little impact on mileage

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've gone through a few different variations of the Defenders and have them on my '11 now. I pushed one set to 75k+. My last set went to ~72k. They're great in dry and rain. They handle spirited driving well too. :p I find them to be acceptable in the snow, but not as good as the Pirelli Scorpions I had on there way back when. The Pirellis wore really quickly though and after I burned through 2 sets in ~70k I gave up on them.
I will say that I'd rather have good tires that last 35k than just-ok tires that last 70k ;)

Clearly, there are compromises, but it can be tough to find tires appropriate for a given application when that application is a wide range of surfaces.

If I didn't need to do any farm work at all, and it was a road car, I'd go with the Defenders, myself.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Went with Michelin cross climate tires this week. So far so good. Had Firestone Destination AT2 and liked them. Stuck with 22s for now I had planned to replace with 18s or 20s even but had a razorblade on the road make some serious damage and no warranty to replace. Couldn't wait for a good deal to come around. Cost difference to go Firestone again wasn't that much to get the cross climate tires. I actually like the tread look more than I thought I would. Very patterned vs aggressive. I have three decent firestones if anybody local wants them. 1/3 life left I am guessing.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will say that I'd rather have good tires that last 35k than just-ok tires that last 70k ;)

Clearly, there are compromises, but it can be tough to find tires appropriate for a given application when that application is a wide range of surfaces.

If I didn't need to do any farm work at all, and it was a road car, I'd go with the Defenders, myself.

They're great tires in everything but snow and we haven't had a snowy winter here in quite a few years. Last year we didn't even have 1 major snowstorm. The year before that I think we had one. Even if we had 14 days a year where the roads were really snowy, I'd still take the Michelins since 14 out of 365 is still trivial.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be putting BF Goodrich KO2 on mine when the Goodyear's wear out. I sold the 22" Hankooks along with the wheels and got some 18" takeoffs from an 2023 F150...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be putting BF Goodrich KO2 on mine when the Goodyear's wear out. I sold the 22" Hankooks along with the wheels and got some 18" takeoffs from an 2023 F150...

I had those years ago. They were great for snow/mud, but it was like riding on square tires compared to highway tires. They wore very quickly also.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Went with Michelin cross climate tires this week. So far so good. Had Firestone Destination AT2 and liked them. Stuck with 22s for now I had planned to replace with 18s or 20s even but had a razorblade on the road make some serious damage and no warranty to replace. Couldn't wait for a good deal to come around. Cost difference to go Firestone again wasn't that much to get the cross climate tires. I actually like the tread look more than I thought I would. Very patterned vs aggressive. I have three decent firestones if anybody local wants them. 1/3 life left I am guessing.
Fresh test today on some super icy overpasses. Slipped before I put it in four wheel. Watched several cars sliding where I didn't. I like what I see so far with the cross climates.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
I used to have Cooper AT4S3, liked the look, low noise and performance in the ice and snow. New Navigstor and put (after much debate) Pirelli Weather Actives. Very quiet on the highway, no winter yet.