TPMS issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, I have a 2009 EL and all 4 tyre pressure sensors inside the wheels where replaced about a year ago (they are the type held in place by a large band that goes around the center of the inside so the wheel). Often when I drive I get an error message about tyre sensor not working, I will try to get the exact message next time it occurs, it does not state a specific sensor and no OBDII codes appear. I understand this model of expedition has one central receiver that receives information from all four TPMS wheel sensors, that is why you have to reprogram the sensors every time you rotate the wheels (the central receiver has no way of knowing which wheel is in which position) I am assuming the error message is due to the central receiver unit having an issue, otherwise it would tell me which sensor was not working. Can anyone tell me where the central TPMS receiver unit is located so I can start to inspect it for water/road damage? Or maybe you have other ideas/suggestions. It’s just an annoyance, it displays a message similar to “tyre pressure error” and flashers the orange tyre warning light, after a while the tyre warning light stops flashing and stays on permanently. I can clear the message with the reset button. I like knowing my tyre pressures are okay so would like to find the cause, however the car is 12 years old and has 200,000 miles so I don’t want to spend a fortune fixing the issue, it already cost me $900 to replace all the TPMS sensors a year ago.
Regards Gary

Last edited:

Matt Conti

Reaction score
I'll be following this also. Just put some newer F-150 wheels on my 2008 - and a couple were missing the valve stems/sensors. I know I'm going to have that tpms light now on permanently. I'm looking for the cheapest way possible to get that light off - even if it's disabling the system.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cheapest and easiest way to get rid of the light, text message, and in my case; the beep every half hour is to put some old sensors in a plastic tube, program them, pressurize it, and bunji cord it under the truck. It cost me about $60 total and I can show you how if you are interested. IDK how Gary spent $900 on sensors ?????. I hate them anyway and they are just for lazy people that won't keep tabs on their tires. We went 100+- years without that hogwash.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you guys think the issue is still the sensors in the wheels, even though I replaced all 4 a year ago? I figured that if only 1 failed the system would tell me which sensor was not working as you have to program them to a specific location (front left, front right, rear right, rear left). As it gave me an error message without a sensor location, I assumed it was the central receiver that had an issue. If it is a sensor not working, how do I identify the faulty one? The 4 replacements where all genuine Ford parts $200 each and I have the little programmer to trigger each sensor to program its location on the car.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get an OBDII reader and any of a multitude of free apps like Torque, you can read individual sensors. I also have a 2009 and can verify it works. It also shows on my new Kenwood stereo/monitor screen.

PXL_20210410_234154967.jpg

tdappleman

Reaction score
If you can get to a tire shop they can read each sensor and it can tell you which one may be having a problem. As the battery gets low it can start having weird issues. The torque app definitely works as well - get a bluetooth OBD2 reader off Amazon or eBay.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, as I had to tell the system where each sensor was and it then tells me front left tyre low, etc, I assumed the system would tell me which sensor was not working!! My bad, I will visit a tyre shop and see if they can tell me. I have an odb11 reader, but it says there are no codes!!
Thanks for the help.

Gary