Trailing Arms and track arm are rusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking for replacement upper and lower rear trailing arms and the track arm. All of mine are pretty rusted and I will want to replace these before they cause any problems. Anyone have suggestions for either an inexpensive stock replacement, or preferably an aftermarket option that doesn't cost $500+. I am thinking about taking all of the pieces off, and going to a welder and having them make me some replacements. Has anyone here done this and what problems, if any did you run into? It would be nice to know how much I can expect for some work like this to be done, since I have never had a part made for me before.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
omg i cant find it. but spoon man, i think, made his own lower arms. i want to make some but a longer. for more flex. and some new uppers. and track bar. idk where i can get some. so i think i have to make them. haha not a big deal since i want to be a welder anyways. but somewhere on here theres a thread with the ones he made. ill keep looking. FOUND IT! http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=7677 there you go!

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I contacted spoon man and he said he will post the dimensions. I am going to try and find a local welder and see what they will charge me to make some. If that is going to be expensive I will hit up the salvage yard and give them a good coating of bed liner.

sdaviddr

Reaction score
I measured my factory one I have. From centerline of the front bolt to the back bolt is 20 3/8 inches long ,checked both sides twice.The bushing mount is 2 3/8 inches wide,viewed from the top.from the bolt centerline to the end of the arm is 1 1/5 inch at each end.bolt hole is 1/2 inch.Take these measurements with you if you go to a u pick u pull it yard.Check a 4x4 dodge ram with a solid front axle see if the front arms are same.or any other vehicle

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dude i cant wait till he posts dimensions, im about to weld some stuff up at school!

Jeeper

Reaction score
I went through the same thing. Ford really messed up with this one. While my wife was driving, the driver side broke in half. There was no way I was about to buy new Ford replacements. So I made my own. They are adjustable and work great.

Control arms 002.jpg

Jeeper

Reaction score
Control Arms

Yes, they are the same ones. I am trying to help people with quality replacements. It really scared me when my wife told me there was a popping noise in the rear. My kids ride in this truck, and there was no way I was going to use factory parts. :mad:

sdaviddr

Reaction score
I decided to just screw it,ordered a set of lowers from PMT.Would have loved to do a cheaper way ,but screw it I need them now.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine aren't to bad yet, but they are bad enough that I am thinking about them. I just want to replace them so I don't have to worry about rolling the rear axle up underneath my expy.