Tranny Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBH

Reaction score
I have a small shudder shifting from second to third, I am not even sure it is the transmission, could be a misfire. It is only slight.

I tried to check the transmission level, but can't find a dipstick! Does my 2001 4.6 4WD have a dipstick? If so where, if not how can I check the fluid level?:confused:

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 1999 Expy developed a problem at about 38,000 miles in which the engine would occasionally race during the 2-3 upshift. Problem was traced to a component known as a 2-3 valve accumulator spring. Spring and valve were replaced at a cost of $250.

Another issue is that these transmissions don't tolerate old transmission fluid well. Your problem could be a symptom. How old is the transmission fluid? If you don't know, you may want to consider replacing it.

OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
Found it thank-you. It was covered by the A/C lines and the yellow handle was black.

OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
Now that I found the dipstick it appears to be low... I'll top it up and see where I'm at.