Tranny temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the tranny cooler made a huge difference on our 2016. I wish I’d found an easy write up online and I’d have done it myself. Glad you figured it out.

Following up for anyone interested...
On our trip to Pigeon Forge and back (from Charlotte), the temp never rose above 212. At that, it only stayed there for a minute and that was on a long, steady climb.
Ambient temp was a bit cooler (in the 55-60 range), but I’d call this a significant improvement over my pre-transmission-cooler experiences.

Adding the cooler was definitely worth the $150 and 2 hours it took to put in!

9B813AE5-8201-423B-BB3D-921AE4A486A7.png

Spurlin

Reaction score
To a
I am new to this Forum. Never have been on a Forum. Excuse me if I am not doing this correctly.
This response is to AdamsDaddy's Dec 5, 2020 at 10:59 AM post

I have a 2016 Expedition XLT. Does NOT have the HD Towing package.

I too am looking at installing an Auxiliary Trans. Oil Cooler & have the same list of parts as you had listed. with a few exceptions.
Did you use all the parts you listed? Wasn't sure if I needed the last one on your list. (BL3Z-7B028-A, Lower return pipe).
Did you install the cooler Direct or In-Lline (with the Aux Cooler connected to the Output line/fitting of the factory cooler on radiator)
Was the installation pretty simple with no metal lines needing to be cut, etc.

I'm thinking about using Part# DL3Z-7A095-B for the Trans cooler. Indicates to fit a 2016 Expedition.
Any advice to the contrary?
Thank you

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To a
I am new to this Forum. Never have been on a Forum. Excuse me if I am not doing this correctly.
This response is to AdamsDaddy's Dec 5, 2020 at 10:59 AM post

I have a 2016 Expedition XLT. Does NOT have the HD Towing package.

I too am looking at installing an Auxiliary Trans. Oil Cooler & have the same list of parts as you had listed. with a few exceptions.
Did you use all the parts you listed? Wasn't sure if I needed the last one on your list. (BL3Z-7B028-A, Lower return pipe).
Did you install the cooler Direct or In-Lline (with the Aux Cooler connected to the Output line/fitting of the factory cooler on radiator)
Was the installation pretty simple with no metal lines needing to be cut, etc.

I'm thinking about using Part# DL3Z-7A095-B for the Trans cooler. Indicates to fit a 2016 Expedition.
Any advice to the contrary?
Thank you

Watching this as I have the exact same truck....

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only had mine for just short of 2 years, from 96k miles to 106k miles. i use it as a DD. the tranny in my 2nd gen police package never goes over 200, but then I've never towed, either. my first goto for any tranny issue is always a fluid change. FWIW.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
180-190 seems normal on a long run unloaded. I very rarely peak mid-220's towing a 7000# travel trailer on very big hills. Mostly stays under 220. I have the tow package/trans cooler.