Trans Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03ddie

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but I have an 03 EB Expedition with 4.6l. I checked the trans fluid after it sitting overnight and the level was complete over the little white piece, like an inch over where it said do not fill past this point. It has 42,3xx miles and to my knowledge it is the factory fluid (I just bought it about 7 months ago.) Is this normal? Will it hurt anything? I have notice a slight whining noise when there is a load on it, and when I take my foot off the gas it goes away.

OP
OP

03ddie

Reaction score
No, it was off and had been sitting all night. I didnt know it had to be on. Ill try that and see where it is. See, told you it was a stupid question.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trans fluid should always be checked when running, preferably when hot. I know there is a cold level, but it should really be checked when hot. When the engine is off, the fluid drains out of the torque converter back into the pan.......

It would have only been a stupid question if you would have drained the fluid out because you thought it was over full and said "why is my transmission not going into gear?"....LOL

Matt R

NCEXP

Reaction score
Change Interval

On a related note, what fluid/filter change interval does everyone use? 30k?

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I don't put too many miles on her (just 135K in 10 years...or about 13K per year), I change mine every two years.

DaveS1955

Reaction score
On the Expedition, and other Ford's as well, the Transmission Fluid change interval depends on the model number of the transmission.

On my 2003 with the 5.4 the dealer refused to open any gearboxes to change fluids until I had approximately 90K on the vehicle.

If you don't have one, you should try to get your hands on the service shcedule for the Expedition. You may be able to download it from Ford's web site.

briguy_78

Reaction score
Transmission Fluid

I have an '03 EB with 63,000 km and had the opposite problem. When I checked the fluid level it was bone dry. The dealer told me not to worry and that it was b/c I didn't leave the dipstick in long enough after cleaning off. He said that the only time I should check the fluid is if the transmission doesn't shift properly....not comforting advice.

I tried again, letting it idle for a few minutes and still bone dry. So I decided to take it to a transmission shop and they also checked and confirmed that it was bone dry so I had them drain it and change the fluid and filter as well as the transfer case. They were able to tell that the transmission had never been serviced and that there were no leaks. They did however overfill it claiming that they always overfill and it's not a problem and that there is no possible way it could damage your tranny. I pointed out that the owners' manual states several times not to overfill the transmission or it could damage it. He responded by saying he was aware of that (as he owns an F-150) but still said it cannot damage the tranny and that his truck with over 200,000 km on it has never had a problem.

Any idea whether or not overfilling your transmission fluid could cause damage to your tranny?

Thanks,

Brian (my first post!!!)

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, over-filling a transmission can lead to extreme foaming of the fluid because the level will get up to the reciprocating parts of the transmission. This is not good because it will suck the air-laden fluid into the pressurized parts of transmission and cause oil starvation and other bad things including slippage since the oil can't hold hydraulic pressure when there is air in the system. This has to be really overfilled to do this though.
Matt R