Trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

songshan311

Reaction score
My 05 navigator had a trans issue right after trans fluid change as well. It did not shift from the first gear to the second unless restart the vehicle. I only need to restart the vehicle once a day. Everyday, I had to start the vehicle, turn it off, and restart it again to make the gears changeable. However, even after restarting, the shift from the first gear to the second is really rough, like an old man coughing. I drove to four different shops, got the same answer:the trans was gone. Was it really gone? Fluid level was good, fluid model was correct, the shift from the second to the third gear was better, only a little rough, the shift after the third was perfect. No issue to shift from backup to forward. 2WD.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are thinking of keeping the car for 3-5 years, check out a Ford rebuilt transmission. Not one rebuilt by your dealer, but one rebuilt by a Ford authorized rebuilder. The reason is suggested this is that it comes with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, GOOD AT ANY FORD DEALER !

William A

Reaction score
I was faced with the same dilemma two years ago with my daughter's 00 Taurus. The trans went on New Year's day while driving to my sister's for dinner.

The engine only had 86k miles on it and I bought the car 3yrs' prior for $3k. Do I sink another $2k into a rebuilt trans or do I try to sell the car?
After doing some research, I found many of these cars for sale with over 200k miles on them. This gave me peace of mind that the engine should (hopefully) last for quite a while. That really swayed my decision to have a rebuilt trans installed.

I had a locale Aamco shop do the work. I did a search for reviews and found this one particular Aamco shop (not all Aamco shops rated the same) with very good ratings . After speaking with the owner, I found out why. This guy was genuinely honest and helpful. He explained what happened to the trans and that it is common in the Taurus model. It came with a 1 yr. warranty, but I could have extended that to 3 yrs. for an extra charge. The job even ended up costing less then the original quote and he included a coupon for my use.

The Ford trans in the aforementioned post sounds like a good idea to me too. Also, I've heard of Jasper engines and transmissions which also come with a 3yr. warranty which are suppose to be good.

Aamco is nation wide as is Ford, not sure about the Jasper co. If you are a AAA member, you could contact them to see who they would recommend.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
M

mrasmussen

Reaction score
Looked up the trans shop on BBB, A+, 42 years in business.

https://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-yor...e/monroe-transmissions-in-rochester-ny-31615/

I'm going to go back to the shop this week and tell them my experience and see what happens.

I should have videoed the original tow trip.

If this thing goes, I'm done with old :)

I decided I will lease an f-150 if this truck doesn't last me 2 years. I'm trying to go without a car payment for a good period of time.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you brought a trans to me (I owned a repair shop for several years) I would not install it.

I told my customers that wanted this, what if it doesn't work? You will have to pay me to r&r it again. If it fails down the road, again you have to pay me.

Sometimes they did not like this answer so my favorite reply to that was

do you take your bacon and eggs into a restaurant and have them cook it?

Some places would do it, but I would not install customer supplied parts except in rare cases

if you have a shop that you trust that can do it for 2 grand thats the route I would go. Its a reasonable price

plenty of remanufactured trans offer full warranties which cover any labor.
you definitely want to go with a remanufactured trans and not a rebuilt one.
remans typically have upgraded components and go beyond a simple rebuild. a remanufactured trans is better than a new one in many cases.

not sure if this is against board rules, but "powersourcre" is known as the best place to purchase remanufactured engines and transmissions

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes I know they come with labor warranties. I would not deal with them. They can easily blame the installer for a problem. Then it becomes a he said she said situation.

I just steered clear of them when I had my repair facility.

drewactual

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they're always learning...

the better wager is sluff/clutch material clearing out of solenoids and valve bodies- finding the nooks and crannies where they can do no harm other than take up space..