Trans Slipping / Grabbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Hello,

Glad that I found this site. I've got a 1999 Expedition and I have a potential problem.

When I am accelerating from a stop, or if I am going slow and accelerate quickly, I get a very mild "Slipping" feeling. Sort of hard to describe, but it feels to me that the AWD is trying to engage / disengage. It's barely noticable unless you are looking for it, but when I point it out to others in the car they can feel it as well.

Something seems to be grabbing and disengaging is the best description. It isn't every time though, but is more common now than it was 6 months ago.

Anybody ever experience anything like this?

Best regards,
Brandon

PS- I had the TC issue that a lot of others have had and the dealer did a flush and added some conditioner. It stopped the shudder noise at 65 MPH and that isn't what this is. This is during acceleration only in all gears if I am heavy on the pedal.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on the Expy? When was the last time that the transfer case fluid was changed?

OP
OP
G

Trans fluid

Hi,

I had the transmission oil changed about 6 months ago to cure the TC vibration that I mentioned in the original post. The truck has about 82,500 miles on it.

Thanks!
Brandon

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, but I was referencing the transfer case. The reason I ask is that I had a problem in which the transfer case was providing power to the front wheels even when not required by road conditions, when it was in "A4WD". Symptoms included a grabbiness that was felt at very low speeds when the front wheels were turned. It was a head-scratcher for my dealer, but after flushing the transfer case with fresh fluid a few times, the problem was resolved.

Has the transfer case fluid ever been changed?

OP
OP
G

Oh, that transfer case!

Sorry, I didn't realize what you where asking!
No, I've never had that changed before. I guess that sounds like a good place to start as any!

Thanks for the advice!
Brandon

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think manufacturer requirements say change every 30,000 miles. It's definitely a good idea. Transfer cases aren't much less expensive than tran$mi$$ion$.