Transfer case problems... all the same

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-PJ-

Reaction score
Yesterday I started to do something with a transfer case in my 2003 Eddie Bauer. I have removed the shift motor to check how it works and if it works and this is what I saw:
it works but only in positions - 2H, A4WD, 4H

there's no move on the 4L

I have plugged another shift motor that was working in Navigator and the same. Is it possible that one of the relays is wrong? There's a click sound when changing from 2H to A4WD on my left, another click sound comes when changing for 4H under the hood (but where to look for it????)

NO CLICK ON CHANGING FOR 4L ON NEUTRAL

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a relay problem. you should be able to hear it engage. when you put it in neutral and switch it to 4L, do you hear the transfer case engage (probably a loud clunk)?

OP
OP
-PJ-

-PJ-

Reaction score
Yes I think so but I have no idea where to look for it. Today I was changing the battery - had to put one from Ex to Pontiac and after 2 hours when I put it back, the transfer case wasn't responding at all

OP
OP
-PJ-

-PJ-

Reaction score
still trying to find a transfer case relay somewhere under the hood. I have found it in the Navigator but cant locate it in Expedition. It's a vehicle from 2003 maybe you know where to look for it? It's the one that you can hear when changing from A4WD to 4H

actionmeter

Reaction score
re: rebuilt transfer case for sale

Had the front driveshaft replaced 5k ago because of the 2 inch lift, all greasable ujoints. Will buy the new seals tomorrow. Also, the "high/low" lever on the new transfer case is very difficult to move back and forth. Is that normal and will it free up once I connect my existing cable or could it be an indication it may lockup in the future?

I say screw it, it s costs the same to rebuild one or buy a functional used one.

OP
OP
-PJ-

-PJ-

Reaction score
I disconnected the battery for 24h. After that everything worked as it should but another startup showed the same situation. No control lights, no changes on moving the selector - nothing. I don't understand what causes the problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712