Transmission failure- some thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Shortly after purchasing our Expedition in April I did a transmission fluid change and replaced the filter with an aftermarket filter. On the 14th of this month on a road trip we lost 1st and 2nd gear, and while trying to repair the transmission based on codes stored I dropped the pan and was less than pleased to find the filter laying in the pan. I'm not sure if the trans failed because the filter came out, or if the filter came out as a result of the trans failing but either way I ended up with a remanufactured transmission from Ford out of the deal. This is just a heads up for the rest of you... while it may be a little more money I would advise sticking with the OEM filter. The filter that failed for me was purchased at Napa, and when I dropped the pan after the failure the orange o-ring was still in the valve body but the filter had popped out. I removed the o-ring and placed it back on the filter, and it slowly worked it's way up and popped off again (actually launched itself about a foot away).