Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john86heath

Reaction score
Hi All, New member and new owner of a 2010 Expedition XLT with the 5.4 Triton and 6-Speed auto in a tight spot. Purchased the vehicle in July of 23' (Super clean with 1 previous owner) with a salvage title & 32,000 miles. Vehicle had suffered light front end damage (pre repair pic attached), no airbags were deployed and radiator did not crack during the crash according to the mom and pops repair shop / small dealer I purchased it from in Denver. All that was replaced was a front bumper, grill, headlights, and as a preventative measure, they replaced the radiator with a new unit with a lifetime warranty from 1800 Radiator. I had the vehicle professionally inspected by my ford dealer in Salida, CO and basically begged them to change all the fluids and take my money, but but their master tech said all the fluids looked great and given the low mileage, there was no reason to change them yet. The vehicle ran flawlessly for 8,000 miles. I was stoked, i had a relatively new looking and driving 7 pass SUV for $14k paid in cash.

Shortly after the new year I noticed gear hunting at low speeds and low rpms (35-40 mph). The vehicle had recently towed a 18 foot tandem axle covered trailer for about 30 miles to help us move, it maybe weighed 5,000 lbs loaded, and the expedition handled the task without issue. About a week later on a particularly cold single digit morning, RPMs started to fluctuate at low speeds from 1000-1600 rpms and there was a slight shudder/pulsing as it ran through the range of gears. It felt like the trans couldn't make up its mind on 4th 5th or 6th. There's no check engine light. I brought it to my local tranny shop, they hooked up their computer and said there's had a misfire on 3, 7 and 8 before discovering that there was a large amount of trans fluid in the engine coolant, and presumably a cross contamination of engine coolant in the trans. The trans shop fully flushed the cooling system and transmission. They dropped the pan, and replaced the fluids and filter. They told me my trans had minimal engine coolant in it and may survive, but it was unlikely due to the chemical reaction with internals. Kept my fingers crossed.

1800 radiator sent a warrantied replacement radiator right away, and took the old one back for testing (to confirm the trans cooler actually ruptured inside the radiator), I'm still waiting on the actual verdict. They have a lifetime guarantee on their radiators... but TBD on subsequent damage.

The truck drives normal for the most part at speeds above the 35 - 40 mph. You can fully floor it and there's no misses. But when you loaf along at low speeds 35-40 mph the tranny hunts, paired with a grumbling that sounds like it's emitting from the passenger side of the trans tunnel. It almost sounds like I'm dragging an inner wheel well but not quite that pronounced. I did stick my head under there for a dummy check and see nothing visibly wrong.

I took it to another shop who's known for their prowess with Fords, and when they plug their scanner there's nothing logged for the misfires. They only saw one instant of a slight miss on #6. Again there's no check engine light. They told me to drive it for as long as i can in the 35-40 mph range on low grades to replicate the behavior and that eventually a check engine light will pop so they can diagnose.

If I use the tow/haul button, the hunting seems to go away considerably 98%, but the trans tunnel grumbling noise continues. My hope is that 1800 radiator will stand behind their product and subsequent damages, but I'm not getting my hopes up. What would you do? I paid $14k for the truck and was planning to ride this low mileage beauty into the sunset for all my family and camper hauling needs.

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_143018.png
    IMG_20230818_143018.png
    539.7 KB · Views: 5

Robert Herrera

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I owned 2007 Navigator for many years and can give you a few suspects. Had you not mentioned the transmission contamination, I'd almost give you 100% chance of success if you start with a set of new coils on ALL the cylinders. It is a weak point and they fail regularly. Fortunately I have just as much luck with the Amazon cheap ones as motorcraft OEM. You can pick up a set online and try them out first, very easy to change. I will assume you have changed your plugs in the last 50K, but if not, it would be a good time to throw in a fresh set so you know what you have in there. On the transmission side, the Expy and Navigator do not share the same transmission, but I will tell you I was having similar shuddering when the overdrive was trying to lock up that got progressively worse. Most shops did not want to touch the truck (apparently it is German ZF unit ala what is found on BMW), and the ones that did wanted to sell me a complete transmission for big $$. After some online homework, I found that the torque converter on those were notorious for going bad. I purchased a locally re-manufactured unit and had it installed by a mechanic for $500 plus fresh Ford transmission fluid and filter that I supplied. Ran flawlessly for the next 50K miles until I sold the truck with 185,000 on the clock.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I second the idea of putting new coil packs on, as well as not needing to buy Motorcraft coils. I have had multiple vehicles with a stutter/bucking feeling at low RPMs when on the throttle a bit, that would go away once it shifted down. Many people think it's a transmission issue, but in every case for me it was related to coils being bad or weak. The fact that you had misfires on a couple different cylinders makes me thing it would be a quick and inexpensive fix to try replacing the coils. Keep your old ones (at least the ones from the cylinders that didn't have misfires) as spares for down the road. This issue could be totally unrelated to your transmission issues and just happen to have started around the same time.

OP
OP
J

john86heath

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure there's a quick video on YouTube of how to replace coils. And great idea on replacing the torque converter with a remanufactured one. Not that much money to reinvest. I really want to keep this vehicle and have it work for me for at least another 60k miles.

Would a dying torque converter sound like metal parts being chewed up? And if so would that completely ruin a transmission?

Johnathan M

Reaction score
It's very easy to replace the coils. Unplug the electrical connector, remove the small bolt holding it in (probably 8mm or 1/4" head), and pull the coil up off the spark plug. Push the new one down over the spark plug, install the bolt, and plug the electrical connector back on. Easy peasy!