Transmission fluid change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could be right. Many things can go wrong with a transmission fluid change. Improper fluid level or wrong fluid would cause damage. Being a Ford dealer does not necessarily mean they will use the correct fluid. You have to be super careful with these things. That is why manufacturers even remove the dip stick.

However, I’ve done numerous transmission fluid changes on many cars (some of them had more than 150k miles before the first change) and never had an issue.

I used to do most maintenance on my vehicles - for many years, but four major surgeries have curtailed my efforts (other than simple maintenance).

I now have to trust others to service my vehicles for most things, and I know it isn’t always done right - even at the dealer (warranty or customer-pay).

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.
Ford dealer quotes $500 to drop the filter and change out the fluid. I will let them do it when my 2019 reaches 60k miles. I just did my transfer case and rear differential fluid at 50k miles today. The Mercon lv was dark after 30k miles. I changed it around 20K miles. The rear differential fluid was good since last change around 20k miles as well with Valvoline 75w90. I use a new brand Ultra Plus GLF5 75w90 gear oil this time.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just dont bring it to any quick lube place like Jiffy-Lube for example. They have a tendency to not torque th
Ford dealer quotes $500 to drop the filter and change out the fluid. I will let them do it when my 2019 reaches 60k miles. I just did my transfer case and rear differential fluid at 50k miles today. The Mercon lv was dark after 30k miles. I changed it around 20K miles. The rear differential fluid was good since last change around 20k miles as well with Valvoline 75w90. I use a new brand Ultra Plus GLF5 75w90 gear oil this time.
$500 to change out tranny fluid? Thats crazy. Must be a tough job for them? Alot to move out of the way? I guess I wont have mines changed until Fords recommended change interval at over 100.000 miles or so now.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I am approaching 145k, and I have never changed the fluid—2018 Limited with very little towing and fairly easy highway miles since I purchased at 60k. It was a rental car prior to my purchase. I’ve yet to have a transmission concern.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
A lot of people don't know this but the shade of red transmission fluid doesn't mean anything. Transmission fluid isn't red in its native state. It is dyed red by the manufacturer to help aid in product identification in the field.
Cheers

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '20 Expedition. I'm accumulating parts to change my oil pan (installing a new pan with a drain plug), fluid (whatever is in the pan only) and filter at 35K. I plan to drop fluid only at 70K and 105K, I'll drop the fluid, pan, and filter again at 140K, and repeat. By doing this, I should maintain an average fluid life of less than 100K throughout the life of the vehicle.

Why? Experience.

My 2007 F150 5.4L 4x4 4-speed auto with Mercon V had a similar OEM recommendation of changing at 150K, which I foolishly planned on following....without research. The fluid lost its shear strength and clutches started to slip at 110K without any towing. I caught it soon enough, did a complete fluid and filter change and it recovered completely (I did the same again at 180K and have done no other transmission repairs). The truck is being driven by my wife at this moment with 207K and the transmission is the least of my worries.

BTW, I found that Rock had the best price on Motorcraft ULV and Motorcraft Trans Filter for the 10R80. Ford TechMakuloco has lots of good vids, including the 10R80 fluid/filter change vid.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did mine at ~95k and then again at ~150k. The first time I did a flush, but the last was just drain/fill/filter. I probably won't do a flush again.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am approaching 145k, and I have never changed the fluid—2018 Limited with very little towing and fairly easy highway miles since I purchased at 60k. It was a rental car prior to my purchase. I’ve yet to have a transmission concern.

Changing the trans fluid topic is always all over the board. Unlike the motor oil which accumulates gasoline and dilutes, the transmission does not. Similar to the diffs the oil does not technically get old or thin out. Many BMW transmissions are sealed and even technicians are not supposed to change the fluid unless they perform service on it.

If you have overheated your transmission to a large degree then in theory the fluid "could" be compromised "depending" on the actual temperature it reached. If something is wrong with your trans like burning clutches or gear wear, changing the fluid will not fix anything.

IMO if you do a lot of towing and see higher trans temps then maybe it would be advantageous to change the fluid periodically.
But for most IMO its a waste of money. Unless you can do a before and after transmission fluid analysis you can never know if the fluid needed to be replaced.

Also IMO flushes are a complete waste as the solutions to flush could cause damage to the plastic parts.
All contaminates should and would have been picked up and accumulated in the filter and magnetic area.

Would I change my fluid? Not sure. I have never changed it and have only once in all the vehicles I have owned ever needed a new transmission. And it was in a Ford Van with high mileage and it was wore parts in the transmission that have a limited life span regardless of the fluid. So I am still on the fence about trans oil changes.