Transmission Fluid change time, Ford or something better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buzzie0013

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’ll be having the fluid changed, not flushed from the transmission as well as the fluids in the front and rear diffs and transfer case. Did you all stick to ford fluids or is there something else out there that’s actually better?

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd stick with the Ford MERCON LV for the trans, but for the diffs any comparable diff oil would be fine. Just make sure it's the same viscosity, and if it's got additives for limited slip (if required)

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’ll be having the fluid changed, not flushed from the transmission as well as the fluids in the front and rear diffs and transfer case. Did you all stick to ford fluids or is there something else out there that’s actually better?
For the tranny, the only thing that goes in it is what your owners manual says. The diffs? Ladies choice.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t see your model year on my phone, but if you have a 2007 or 2008 do not use mercon LV, you must use Mercon SP for the 6R75. LV is ok for 09+. Like bobmbx said manual if the safest bet.

txracer16

Reaction score
Use the Motorcraft trans fluid, don’t trust the multi use stuff. Pretty sure you have the 6R80 which should be LV. Also wear gloves when changing, a lot of techs complain about LV causing itching and skin irritation.