Transmission gear indicator went missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stotadude

Reaction score
I may be losing my mind but I swear my dash used to show the gears in a vertical display and highlight the current gear. All of a sudden that part of the display disappeared and there is blank space left. Everything else is there. I default to "trip 2" mode showing current mpg and miles driven on last fillup. I've tried all the available settings options but I do not see anything that pertains to this. Is there a way to get this back? I have not purchased the OBD device or downloaded the forscan app.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing to me. I had my gears displaying for months, then one day they were turned off. The "+" button on the shifter should bring them back. If you press "-" you'll lock out 6th gear.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may be losing my mind but I swear my dash used to show the gears in a vertical display and highlight the current gear. All of a sudden that part of the display disappeared and there is blank space left. Everything else is there. I default to "trip 2" mode showing current mpg and miles driven on last fillup. I've tried all the available settings options but I do not see anything that pertains to this. Is there a way to get this back? I have not purchased the OBD device or downloaded the forscan app.

This information should be contained in your vehicle owner’s manual. I own a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 and my manual has the information.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Press the + button on the shifter. I like seeing what gear I am in especially when I floor it and it down shifts.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The gear display is apparently intended to allow lockout of higher gears, not as a general information display. The +/- button on the gear lever selects this mode when - is pressed and shows available gears with the current gear highlighted. Press - again and 6th drops off. Etc.

The display may do something in Manual mode too.

-- Chuck

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the same thing -- pressing "-" once to activate that mode and then pressing it again to lock out 6th -- but, in practice, when I press "-" twice like that it locks out both 5th and 6th!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65