transmission "popping out of gear"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What dealer did you go to in DFW? Really hoping it's not Park Cities.
Hey Aggie, how many miles do you have now? Do you think this transmission issue is related to the PCM re-flash that comes with the phaser repair??

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Aggie, how many miles do you have now? Do you think this transmission issue is related to the PCM re-flash that comes with the phaser repair??

I don’t know. The shift from 3 - 5 was already REALLY rough before the cam phaser job, so something was definitely up. That said, the sluggish performance, the unusual turbo lag, and the thing occasionally losing it’s way when downshifting all started after the cam phaser job. Buuuut, I talked to the dealer that did the cam phaser job and they are adamant they did not do any software update as part of the job (I call BS, but whatever).

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The older TSB had the software update but it was removed from the last one, and now the PCM update is under the FSA 21B10.

i feel that mine is heading in the same direction. I use manual shifting most of the time now to prevent the harsh shifting.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a week at the dealer, they finally got to my vehicle... and did basically nothing.

"Electronic transmission diag. KOEO pass. KOEC pass. KOER pass. Check fluid level and condition, OK. Reset KAM and shift tables. Perform adaptive drivecycle. PID monitor road test 15 miles at highway speeds verify repair."

So they basically just checked the logs and reset the software.

Something tells me I'm going to be back at the dealer before long. GRRRRRR.
They did, literally, the exact same thing on mine. They said everything checked out, nothing wrong anywhere. Suggested that perhaps it got a glitch in the “adaptive process” along the way and that clearing the trans computer would allow it to learn from scratch without the glitch.

I mean, I guess that’s possible. Maybe something they did with my cam phaser service freaked out the trans and now it will be better.

Oh well. My service advisor is excellent and just told me to keep driving and bring it back if it’s still acting up and they’ll dig back in. He was sympathetic.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 3-5 is dumb terrible & still “cannot be replicated “ even though i can replicate it every. single. morning. i’m sure they just don’t want to open her up. for what it’s worth, it was like this before the cam phaser surgery & seems unchanged
since - & i made extra sure they did not flash anything at all. although i will say there’s an occasional clunk at random points of confusion for the tranny, which has recently appeared to be more often than before.

frustrating

houlster

Reaction score
My new-to-me 2018 did this same exact thing a few times the first week I had it. Final time was much worse. Dash lit up and error messages popped up in the display about a shift fault. It did start going again after 5-6 seconds of coasting in no gear.

Engine and wrench lights stayed on and when I got home, it would not go into reverse. If I shut down and restart it would, but not after driving forward.

I need to check the paperwork, but the dealer replaced either shift valve(s) or the valve body. It's been great ever since though..

OP
OP
T

texevora

Reaction score
Exact same issue is occurring after my service visit 2 weeks ago. Taking it back to the dealer, hopefully they do something substantive this time as I caught it on video luckily.

So annoying.

MattCostin

Reaction score
Have a '19 Expedition Limited 4WD. This issue has been occuring in 2H mode which i'm in 99.9% of the time.

At highway speeds (70-85mph) while coasting then attempting to accelerate (ie while trying to pass slower traffic), the car will lurch/make a clunk sound and "pop out of gear" (rpm’s will rise as if in neutral and car won’t accelerate). When you let off the gas, the transmission will lurch/make another loud clunk and engage a gear, then proceed to accelerate normally when you re-apply throttle. No errors/warnings on the dash. The clunk sounds are pretty painful to hear, not going to lie.

This happened once or twice yesterday on a 3 hour roadtrip, then at least 3-4 times today on the return trip earlier today.

Anyone experienced this/have any idea what the issue is? I've got 44K miles on the odometer, so I assume this would be covered under the powertrain warranty, but i'm quite annoyed that i'm having transmission problems on a car <2 years old and one with 95% highway miles and diligent maintenance.
Has this been resolved yet as I’m experiencing a similar issue. They reset the PCM 3 times including a software update. Still happens but not all the time.

MattCostin

Reaction score
Has this been resolved yet as I’m experiencing a similar issue. They reset the PCM 3 times including a software update. Still happens but not all the time.
Can I also ask if you are running stock wheel size? I have 35s on it now