Transmission slow to up-shift when engine cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HansS

Reaction score
I ended up getting the cam phasers replaced, which I needed, but they assumed that was going to fix the shifting problem and didn't do any additional investigation. I can say the slow shift when cold is still there. I am in chicago and park outside. Today I let the car fully warm up in the driveway while I cleared off all the snow and the RPMs were back down to low idle before I backed out. I can say high RPMs is not my root cause. I still lean more toward cold trans fluid causing slow shifts.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I was going to have the shop check the transmission fluid level to rule that out but it seems that may be a waste of money. Has anyone ruled that in or out?

HansS

Reaction score

HansS

Reaction score
This TSB seems to relate to what we are all describing -

I spoke to a local Ford service advisor a few days ago regarding this TSB and he seemed to be familiar with it. He said that the step -

"2. Reprogram the transmission strategy download into the PCM/TCM strategy download into the PCM/TCM."

can actually introduce other odd behavior. He suggested that I first disconnect the battery overnight (this may be overkill but whatever). From what I understand this will reset the KAM where the transmission adaptive tables are stored. I went ahead and did this and it seems to have helped so far - two days in. I still see a slight delay when cold but it is definitely better. This may just be normal behavior at this point.

In regards to the second part of step #2 -

"Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01"

He didn't mention that this was necessary. In any case it seems to make more sense for the adaptive learning to learn when the temps are cold where the odd shifting seems to happen.

I did ask him about checking the transmission fluid level and he indicated that if the level was truly low that I would be seeing a service engine light.

Anyway, thought I would pass that along.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't any transmission going to be slightly delayed when it's cold out? Or are we talking about a transmission in warm weather but not warmed up from operating yet?

HansS

Reaction score
Thought things had improved or were improving...today truck threw a P0734 which is a code referenced in the TSB I referenced above. Truck goes into the shop on Monday.

20230213_141352.jpg
Stay tuned....

HansS

Reaction score
Bad news for everyone who is experiencing this problem. I am at the Ford dealership. I have found out that this is an indication that the clutch packs in the transmission are worn\wearing out. The reason this problem clears up when the transmission warms up is because of part expansion. I was also told that folks are getting between 70,000 and 90,000 out of these 10 speed transmissions. I have 90,000 miles on mine. I guess I will be calling Ford today to see if they would be willing to help pay for a new transmission. Apparently they are putting better parts in the newer ones. 4-6 weeks to get a new one with a bill around $5,000. I am not happy and this is what I get for taking the risk of buying a Ford.

Last edited:

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad news for everyone who is experiencing this problem. I am at the Ford dealership. I have found out that this is an indication that the clutch packs in the transmission are worn\wearing out. The reason this problem clears up when the transmission warms up is because of part expansion. I was also told that folks are getting between 70,000 and 90,000 out of these POS 10 speed transmissions. I have 90,000 miles on mine. I guess I will be calling Ford today to see if they would be willing to help pay for a new transmission. Apparently they are putting better parts in the newer ones. 4-6 weeks to get a new one with a bill around $5,000. I am not happy and this is what I get for taking the risk of buying a Ford.
Common issue with the 10R80 trans unfortunately. I dealt with the same issues. Remedy was a new trans from Ford. My issues and remedy are documented in the link below.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine started doing this the next winter after we bought it. It arrived at the end of the winter and was fine until cold weather came back. I think it had like 5k miles when it started hammering from 3 to 4 and again going into 6th.

I posted in here and nobody seemed to have anything like that happening back then, about two years ago. I called the dealer and they said it’d be hard for them to speculate and there were no software updates that applied.

id read on here about the can of worms that is a tear down. I decided to just let sleeping dogs lie for now and bank in the extended ford warranty covering it if necessary at some point. I’m up to right at 20k miles now. Still does it, only first time through gears. I’ve only towed 2-3 times and the first time was well past the 1k break in period.