Transmission Upgrade? Additives, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
This is a multi-part question related to transmissions.

From what I've read on here, there are 2 schools of thought in regard to any additives, be they for fuel, oil, transmission, etc.

1st question: I have a very minor leak on my transmission, had it checked by my mechanic and he says its most likely a seal that is in the process of going bad. the leak is a few drops that form at the inspection plug on the bell housing and drip a little. So far, its only taken about a 1/4 of a quart to top off the leakage. What I would like to know is if I add Lucas Transmission Fix, which might seal the leak until I can gather up the funds to have the tranny serviced/repaired, I'm pretty sure that it will either work and stop the leak for now but will it cause any adverse effects in the long run? My Expedition is what some might call a high mileage model as it currently has 188,865 on it. By adding the Lucas to the tranny, I'm not seeing any real downside to it as it should benefit the moving parts. But I could be wrong.

2nd question: when the transmission is serviced and the seal or seals replaced, should the torque converter be replaced as well? After the tranny is put back together and during the filling process, has anyone used Lubeguard in their transmissions? I looked over the section under Product Reviews and didn't find anything. Is this stuff just snake oil in a bottle or does it actually work?

3rd question: in doing research into transmissions, I came across a mention of aftermarket larger transmission pans. I have no idea if such a thing exists for the expedition series but am interested in the event someone has installed one. Links would be great as to where they found it. While they appear to be something that would be a good addition as more fluid = more cooling ability = lower operating temps = less wear and tear on the transmission and potentially that would increase the life of the fluid and transmission. (I don't tow anything and rarely go up into the mountain where there might be a strain on the transmission)

However, what concerns me about a larger transmission pan is that the extra fluid might make the transmission work harder to pump the fluid through the system.

If anyone has any information related to any of the questions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dewayne

Reaction score
I can tell you adding Lucas as directed won't hurt anything , I went to a Jasper transmission clinic years ago and at that time they recommended Lucas but not for leaks they found that if you added a bottle of Lucas to your transmission it would help protect against fluid aeration and your transmission would run cooler .

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can tell you adding Lucas as directed won't hurt anything , I went to a Jasper transmission clinic years ago and at that time they recommended Lucas but not for leaks they found that if you added a bottle of Lucas to your transmission it would help protect against fluid aeration and your transmission would run cooler .

Snake oil.
Jasper are full of it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That is not an inspection plug. A good shop should know this. The 1st Gen, has a drain plug on the torque converter. It is possible, it may be leaking. These trucks are also known for rotted trans lines. Your transmission requires mercon V synthetic fluid. Lucas may have something that will fix one problem, but cause an other. If your transmission has 188K, it may be on borrowed time or may last several years. Messing with, may speed it up failing. A rebuild, will cost around $1500. The book value on it, may only be $1700(the good for bad argument). The larger pan would only help with towing.

Last edited:

devincox

Reaction score
When I got my 1998 236k mile expedition, I was given a mag hytec high capacity transmission pan. Here is a link to the pan.
http://mag-hytec.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=5

Heat is the number one killer of auto transmissions and the extra 7.6 quarts of capacity helps mitigate the heat. I went through two transmissions on my race car until I finally learned that lesson. Faster shifts also help keeps temps low.
Though if you are not towing, I think you may do just as well by purchasing a transmission cooler, it would certainly be cheaper.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aren't all the 4r100's installed with a cooler on the expedition?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View media item 1184
I also have the mag-hytec trans pan for the last 17 years. change trans fluid and filter every 25K when trailering. can't comment on any additives etc. as I've used only Mercon V and the Ford Filter YC3Z7A098BA. Torque converter replaced under warranty in 1998 due to O/D light erratically flashing.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You may already have a transmission factory cooler and a large pan. 4R100 is a robust, high mile truck unit. Local transmission shop, serviced mine at 80K. They dropped pan, filter and drained converter(I watched). The dipstick plug was still in pan and bottom of pan was clean. Ford dealers, back flush, with a machine. I am not the original owner, but am pretty sure it was flushed. The transmission shop owner(honest guy), said frequent changes, not needed, unless towing. My dip stick tube was rotted out(engine tube also went,WTF Ford?). The shop was able to do a temp patch, to refill it. They lines were still intact, but crusty. I saw a co-worker leave a trail of fluid, in his, so mine got changed . The lines will seep and drip, then blow out, catastrophic failure(check them).

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
That is not an inspection plug. A good shop should know this. The 1st Gen, has a drain plug on the torque converter. It is possible, it may be leaking. These trucks are also known for rotted trans lines. Your transmission requires mercon V synthetic fluid. Lucas may have something that will fix one problem, but cause an other. If your transmission has 188K, it may be on borrowed time or may last several years. Messing with, may speed it up failing. A rebuild, will cost around $1500. The book value on it, may only be $1700(the good for bad argument). The larger pan would only help with towing.

Just to clarify, the truck on a whole has 188k+ but the tranny only has about 30k.