2018 Platinum, in the shop with transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
Never, ever tell a Stealership that you have a warranty from Ford. Spring that on them AFTER they tell you the engine or transmission needs to be replaced. Then, make them stick to their original diagnosis. It's amazing how many problem issues they can suddenly find 1 day after a warranty expires. They don't call them "Stealerships" for nothing. Also, it never ceases to amaze me how many OTHER problems crop up after you have some repair work done and take the vehicle home. Just saying....

Benztech

Reaction score
If you have a Ford warranty it doesn't matter if you tell them. They will find out if they do their job correctly. Warranty information will show up on an Oasis report run on the Ford system. As for saying a new unit is needed then saying rebuild due to warranty- this isn't the dealer trying to get out of replacing the trans. Their hands are tied by Ford policy. Some manufacturers only replace units. Ford hasn't been one of them for quite some time. I was a Ford tech over 20 years ago and they were rebuilding transmissions back then too.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: After 5 weeks in the shop, the A/T tech believes the water pump might be the culprit. They've replaced the water pump (which apparently also cools the A/T). They're putting some miles on it now to see how it holds up.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another update: The transmission tech determined it was the water pump. Apparently (and this is something new I've learned), the A/T oil runs through the engine coolant heat exchanger. They essentially share a radiator. In this way, the engine coolant helps to regulate the A/T oil temperature. He determined the water pump had a cracked bearing, which resulted in insufficient coolant circulation, and in-turn, insufficient A/T oil temperature management. When the A/T oil gets too hot, it will vent out. Replacing the water pump and thermostat appears to have fixed it (for now), although I haven't taken the vehicle on long trips yet.

Hope this helps someone else in a similar situation. The vehicle has 87k miles, and has been meticulously maintained.

Benztech

Reaction score
I hope this fixes it but I have to say I'm suspicious. If the water pump wasn't circulating enough fluid you'd see higher engine temps too. In any case keep us up to date.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope this fixes it but I have to say I'm suspicious. If the water pump wasn't circulating enough fluid you'd see higher engine temps too. In any case keep us up to date.

Like what I said, the most possible cause is the tech (in the same dealership, according to OP) overfilled the transmission, no matter whatever excuse the dealership tries to present.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett