2018 Platinum, in the shop with transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck is at 86,000 miles. Yesterday while driving on the highway, I began to notice transmission slipping in 10th gear. A few minutes later, I noticed the transmission temperature going up, and up, and up. Luckily for me, the Ford dealership is right in town, so I drove her straight there.

Once I pulled in, I noticed transmission pan leaking oil.

I was hoping it was just a gasket, but they called me today that the oil was leaking from a vent, not the pan, and was due to internal pressure within the transmission.

They're having their transmission tech inspect it.

Will report back what they find.

The transmission was last serviced in November, and underwent a full oil and gasket change. Prior to that, no issues.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The transmission was last serviced in November, and underwent a full oil and gasket change. Prior to that, no issues.
Why did it get serviced in November? Looks like whatever they did messed it up now

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a side note a friend had a Explorer that did this for yrs. Multiple dealers “couldn’t find an issue “ finally took it to a crusty old Ford tech at a dealer. He had it fixed in an hour. Plugged faulty cooler from the factory!! New cooler no issues had that exploder for another 12yrs no issues.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update. A week later. They don't seem to know why or how the transmission oil pressure goes up so high. They're actively investigating. I did mention to them to check on the transmission oil cooler lines. They're looking into everything.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay another update. Apparently they're in touch with Ford corporate, as the only 10-speed transmissions that are overheating and venting oil are the ones in the Expeditions, and not in any other models. They're telling me we're currently in a "holding pattern" until they hear back from Ford as far as how to best address this (large cooler, etc.).

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, heard an update today, two weeks later. They're down to one A/T tech, and I'm looking at potentially 4-6 more weeks.

All the transmission issues are related to the 10-speed unit. They've got about 20 Expeditions waiting in queue with A/T issues.

Thanks Ford, and the government to a lesser extent, for requiring vehicles to have such abysmally low emissions, that manufacturers are forced to design transmissions with more gears than they were ever meant to have in order to meet these federally-mandated emission standards.

I've called 4 other dealers in the area. Same story. Wait time on A/T work is 4-6 weeks with another 1-2 weeks for repairs.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update. A week later. They don't seem to know why or how the transmission oil pressure goes up so high. They're actively investigating. I did mention to them to check on the transmission oil cooler lines. They're looking into everything.
This is obviously an overfill of transmission fluid, at least to me. Did you replace the fluid and the filter in the same dealership back to Nov last year?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is obviously an overfill of transmission fluid, at least to me. Did you replace the fluid and the filter in the same dealership back to Nov last year?

I assume, the cause is the tech of the dealership didn't fill up the tranny fluid after the tranny hitting operating temperature, which is from 200ish F to 210ish F. And that caused overfilling. If I were the tech, I would fill fluid at least when tranny temp hitting 180F and above.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, heard an update today, two weeks later. They're down to one A/T tech, and I'm looking at potentially 4-6 more weeks.

All the transmission issues are related to the 10-speed unit. They've got about 20 Expeditions waiting in queue with A/T issues.

Thanks Ford, and the government to a lesser extent, for requiring vehicles to have such abysmally low emissions, that manufacturers are forced to design transmissions with more gears than they were ever meant to have in order to meet these federally-mandated emission standards.

I've called 4 other dealers in the area. Same story. Wait time on A/T work is 4-6 weeks with another 1-2 weeks for repairs.

The transmission failed on my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 (passenger use only and purchased new) at about 70,*** miles (6-speed transmission).

The government doesn’t force manufacturers to design poor-quality transmissions with numerous design and manufacturing defects - that’s Ford’s doing.

The lack of timely parts and repair is also on Ford (mine took 3-months to fix at a Ford dealer due to lack of parts).

I wish you luck - you will hate Ford by the time this is over.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett