Trying to remove rust from rocker panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear3321

Reaction score
Have got some serious rust. I'm sure it would cost more than I want to invest at a body shop. Not really sure what to do with it but gonna probably try removing as much as I can and try to prevent more from coming. I guess the good news is you can't see it that well unless you're right up on it. 20201007_163902.jpg 20201007_163853.jpg

Plati

Reaction score
Of course you realize that the rockers rust from the inside out. They are well on their way to looking like the picture in my profile. So when you say "remove rust" I'm sure you mean cut out all that metal/rust (plus a lot more that still has paint on it) and put new metal in.

On my 2003 eventually there was just the paint layer with no metal under it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sticker is the King of Rust. He knows. Maybe you can spray some oily stuff inside and clean up the outside a bit, but you may be wasting your time. At this point I think the rusting away is inevitable.

Plati

Reaction score
Sticker is the King of Rust. He knows. Maybe you can spray some oily stuff inside and clean up the outside a bit, but you may be wasting your time. At this point I think the rusting away is inevitable.
Appreciate the sentiment. I've been studying Expy rust for many years now.

Couple years ago I was skiing up in Quebec and a gorgeous French Canadian woman (in french accent of course) said to me "You are the King" in the Hot Tub after I jumped into the in the deep snow and rolled around. Can't tell you how the story ended. Now that was HOT and COOL!

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Bear3321, I feel your pain here.
As you likely know, there are plenty of threads on this.
You could check out how I dealt with it in these threads.
While I was doing this, I wire brushed the frame and as much rocker panel metal that I could reach, then POR-15 (Prep & coating), top-coated with satin black. I got some galvanized sheet metal from Home Depot, rivets, body adhesive, Bondo, etc. My rocker panel (so for only the passenger side has rusted through) is not satin black. Like you mentioned, it is well hidden by the door cladding and running boards. So, I don't feel that it is urgent to get it back to Royal Red Metallic (UK).

Maybe these should have come with holes in the outer rocker panels to help with flushing them out.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the sentiment. I've been studying Expy rust for many years now.

Couple years ago I was skiing up in Quebec and a gorgeous French Canadian woman (in french accent of course) said to me "You are the King" in the Hot Tub after I jumped into the in the deep snow and rolled around. Can't tell you how the story ended. Now that was HOT and COOL!

OP
OP
B

bear3321

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the help guys. I will see what I can come up with and post more pics if I get anything done.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spray Fluid Film inside those holes on backside and it will slow way down. My last expy was rusting there and I sprayed Twice a year, my aunts 08 was too and they didn’t. Her rockers were gone in 2 years and mine barely got any worse from there in the same time. It’s never too late to keep moisture away.

OP
OP
B

bear3321

Reaction score
Alright, will do. It's a 2010 with about 165xxx on it. The rest of it is in such good shape. Sad to see these like this.