Rocker panel rot - leak source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drmayer88

Reaction score
2017 EL with 62k miles. No rust anywhere - and i was underneath the other day and found the rear of my rockers rotted through.

I do live in Wisconsin so salty winters - but i am always diligent about washing often with an underbody flush.

They appear to have rotted from the inside-out like most - but it’s strange as it’s both sides and only in the rear half.

Then i grabbed my flashlight and shined the light through near the seam in the front of the rear wheel well (pictured). You can see light through the holes in the rockers. My assumption is that this gap in the seam let the water in which then really had no way out.

can you look at yours to see if you have a gap in this seam?IMG_2819_Original.jpegIMG_1191.jpeg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 EL with 62k miles. No rust anywhere - and i was underneath the other day and found the rear of my rockers rotted through.

I do live in Wisconsin so salty winters - but i am always diligent about washing often with an underbody flush.

They appear to have rotted from the inside-out like most - but it’s strange as it’s both sides and only in the rear half.

Then i grabbed my flashlight and shined the light through near the seam in the front of the rear wheel well (pictured). You can see light through the holes in the rockers. My assumption is that this gap in the seam let the water in which then really had no way out.

can you look at yours to see if you have a gap in this seam?View attachment 79097View attachment 79096

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new and never damaged or wrecked, with the fixed (painted) running boards.

I looked at the area you mentioned and I do not have a seam there. I have attached a photo. Mine is NOT the EL, but the standard length model.

Attachments

• 207F0566-B1E0-4AA3-9333-DDAB7A3BFF87.jpeg
    207F0566-B1E0-4AA3-9333-DDAB7A3BFF87.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
D

Drmayer88

Reaction score
It looks like you have the same spot/seam:

IMG_1193.jpeg

Does it seem like there is an opening where i circled?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like you have the same spot/seam:

View attachment 79099

Does it seem like there is an opening where i circled?

I looked at the right side (photo attached). There is no opening in the area you circled on the photo. There is some seam-sealer in the area.

Attachments

• D0C6ED74-98F5-455C-98CE-E8BA952A3EA2.jpeg
    D0C6ED74-98F5-455C-98CE-E8BA952A3EA2.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 11

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you sir.

I’m speculating - but I would not be surprised if the vehicle was not properly sealed from the factory.

I ordered my 2015 Expedition. It arrived on a Friday and the dealer contacted me - I agreed to take delivery on the following Sunday. I disposed of my prior vehicle by private sale, and had no spare vehicle to drive daily.

When I took delivery, with 2 miles on the vehicle, the LF wheel opening molding was crooked and not fastened to the fender. The black plastic nails on the inside of the LF fender were bent, crooked and not fully seated.

The LF painted lower molding (behind the tire/wheel) was crooked.

One side of the hood was lower than the top edge of the fender.

The right rear inside trim panels were crooked and loose, and did not fit together.

The optional all-weather mat for the LF position (one of four mats) had a huge bubble in it (as if a soup bowl had been vacuum shrunk on the mat).

The sales person told me not to worry - that the service department would fix everything. Keep in mind that the service department had been paid to do a pre-delivery inspection of the vehicle. They passed it and got paid - and ignored all the defects. Then they got paid by Ford again to fix all the defects.

It was clear that factory quality control inspectors (if there really were any) passed the vehicle on.

My point is that if Ford can build a new vehicle with numerous obvious, visible defects - I have no doubt they can build a vehicle with hidden defects and sloppy work. And no one at Ford or the Kentucky Truck Assembly Plant cares.

OP
OP
D

Drmayer88

Reaction score
I’m speculating - but I would not be surprised if the vehicle was not properly sealed from the factory.

I ordered my 2015 Expedition. It arrived on a Friday and the dealer contacted me - I agreed to take delivery on the following Sunday. I disposed of my prior vehicle by private sale, and had no spare vehicle to drive daily.

When I took delivery, with 2 miles on the vehicle, the LF wheel opening molding was crooked and not fastened to the fender. The black plastic nails on the inside of the LF fender were bent, crooked and not fully seated.

The LF painted lower molding (behind the tire/wheel) was crooked.

One side of the hood was lower than the top edge of the fender.

The right rear inside trim panels were crooked and loose, and did not fit together.

The optional all-weather mat for the LF position (one of four mats) had a huge bubble in it (as if a soup bowl had been vacuum shrunk on the mat).

The sales person told me not to worry - that the service department would fix everything. Keep in mind that the service department had been paid to do a pre-delivery inspection of the vehicle. They passed it and got paid - and ignored all the defects. Then they got paid by Ford again to fix all the defects.

It was clear that factory quality control inspectors (if there really were any) passed the vehicle on.

My point is that if Ford can build a new vehicle with numerous obvious, visible defects - I have no doubt they can build a vehicle with hidden defects and sloppy work. And no one at Ford or the Kentucky Truck Assembly Plant cares.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too that it was faulty from the beginning. I am religious about keeping it clean in the winter. I found two other expeditions at work like mine and they appear to be sealed better and the rockers are in good shape.

I have a recall appointment in two weeks and I’m going to bring it up to the dealer. Doubt i’ll get anywhere but it’s worth a try. I’ve gotten body shop quotes from $4-6k to fix it. I may give it a shot myself as you can’t really see the panel with the door and the running boards.

Brianstl

Reaction score
I experienced sort of the same thing on my 2012 XLT. It was bought used 2 years ago and this year I noticed the cancer on the rocker panels. I attributed it to snow and salt getting lodged between the running boards and the rocker panel. I removed the running boards and did a down and dirty repair, cutting the bad metal out and using spray foam and bondo. Then I sprayed Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on the entire length of the rocker panel. It’s by all means not pretty but it’s better than before and you can’t see this area not unless you’re on the ground looking underneath. The foam plugged the holes on the back side of the rocker panel, so that will also stop water intrusion. I have to say it’s pretty solid. Have new I-boards coming and should be good as new. For a work truck it will do the job. I will also add that it’s a poor design, like some of the other interior and exterior body parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0602.jpeg
    IMG_0602.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 17

Goldmember

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL with just over 100k miles and I have the same issue with the rocker panel rotted complete out on the driver side and worse near the passenger door.

I looked in the rear wheel well and there is a giant gap in the seam.

IMG_2724.jpeg

I too suspect this is the root cause for the rocker panels to be rotting from the inside out.

Drmayer88, did Ford offer any assistance or recognize that this is a factory issue?​

ThanksIMG_2727.jpegIMG_2726.jpegIMG_2725.jpeg

Last edited: