Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ketch1387

Reaction score
Hey all, have a ‘15 Expedition Platinum and was looking to get opinions on Bully Dog. I have a Bully Dog tuner from a previous vehicle and was debating on throwing it on. The truck has about 93K on it and aside from the wife’s daily use we tow a 4700# rv and was curious if it would be worth putting the tune on it. It is equipped with the HD towing package and I have a weight distribution hitch as well. Also was looking for any other good upgrades for towing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey all, have a ‘15 Expedition Platinum and was looking to get opinions on Bully Dog. I have a Bully Dog tuner from a previous vehicle and was debating on throwing it on. The truck has about 93K on it and aside from the wife’s daily use we tow a 4700# rv and was curious if it would be worth putting the tune on it. It is equipped with the HD towing package and I have a weight distribution hitch as well. Also was looking for any other good upgrades for towing.
Tuner yes, with a legit Tow Tune, like ZFG, or MPT. BullyDog, NO, throw it in the trash, their canned tunes are TERRIBLE!

OP
OP
K

Ketch1387

Reaction score
But would putting the bully dog tune be an upgrade over stock? At least until I can save up some cash for a better tune. Just looking to repurpose the tuner since I already own it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But would putting the bully dog tune be an upgrade over stock? At least until I can save up some cash for a better tune. Just looking to repurpose the tuner since I already own it.
Not if you are towing. Yes, it will probably develop more power, but wouldn't call it safe.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
No towing "upgrades" needed -- at least for me.

Neither my '07 5.4V8 nor '17 3.5EB engines barely breathe hard towing my 6000 pound camper. (I figure you have one of those engines.) Cruise control. Tow/Haul -- if I remember. :) 87 octane is fine too. Eastern mountains, not the Rockies though. The 3.5EB tows much better but the V8 was fine.

-- Chuck

eltonto

Reaction score
I’m currently researching anything to add confidence to towing with an Expy myself. So far, I’ve come to the conclusion that a good WDH and maybe some 5100s is about all a guy really needs. If you’re really pushing the limits, upgrade the sway bar and toss in some sumo spring helpers for added stiffness. A proper/safe tuner would have some improvement but the 3.5 with 3.73 ratios will pull way more than our expy frames can handle.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Factory HD Tow is all ya need -- and all we're gonna get. :)

9200 pound trailer is still the maximum that can be towed -- and that's with the SUV empty. 920 max pounds on the ball with the required WDH. Not sure what "5100s" are but they don't increase towing capacity. Upgraded sway bars and helper springs don't add any capability either but do have a very nice placebo effect like LT tires do. :) And to tell ya the truth the 3.31 axles under my 2017 pull just as well as the 3.73 LS axles did on my 2007 -- there's a bunch of computer work going on that "eliminates" the need for LS. Note the quotes but I don't miss it.

I have a personal "One Ton Rule" for towing which specifies the trailer has to weigh 2000 pounds less than the maximum towing capacity or in this case no more than 7200 pounds. This accounts for cargo and passengers in the truck and some reserve for steep grades, high summer temperatures, and (what passes for) high altitudes here in the East.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Yupster Dog Can you bounce this to the Performance Forum...Since it is discussing tuning, it should probably be there.

eltonto

Reaction score
Factory HD Tow is all ya need -- and all we're gonna get. :)

9200 pound trailer is still the maximum that can be towed -- and that's with the SUV empty. 920 max pounds on the ball with the required WDH. Not sure what "5100s" are but they don't increase towing capacity. Upgraded sway bars and helper springs don't add any capability either but do have a very nice placebo effect like LT tires do. :) And to tell ya the truth the 3.31 axles under my 2017 pull just as well as the 3.73 LS axles did on my 2007 -- there's a bunch of computer work going on that "eliminates" the need for LS. Note the quotes but I don't miss it.

I have a personal "One Ton Rule" for towing which specifies the trailer has to weigh 2000 pounds less than the maximum towing capacity or in this case no more than 7200 pounds. This accounts for cargo and passengers in the truck and some reserve for steep grades, high summer temperatures, and (what passes for) high altitudes here in the East.

-- Chuck
Bilstein 5100 shocks is what is being referred to. Obviously nothing changes the tow rating. Replacing the OEM, shocks in the strut assemblies with something stiffer seems to help quite a bit with these expys if you’re towing or maybe running backroads a little faster than the average grocery run. Upgrading shocks and sway bars is all about trying to eliminate/reduce/control unwanted movement.
Your “1 ton” rule is pretty similar to my “80%” rule, trying to keep payload and tow weight no higher than 80% of the rating.

prenticect

Reaction score
I wanted to re-ask the question for me as I have read all I can but looking for confirmation. My truck is a stock engine entirely, and no intention of changing any of that. I have the 2" shock lift (Bilstein) and running Toyos... a little too large :) I tow a heavy camper, maybe once every 2 years... I have the WD hitch for it, which helps some, but to be better, I need those Sumo Coils added to help more. (I should have installed them when I put the new shocks in :( ) I tow a boat, maybe once or twice a year, but that total weight is 3000lbs.

I am looking at this:

2015-2017 Expedition 3.5L EcoBoost SCT Livewire TS+ Tuner & 5-Star Custom Tunes 5015​

From other posts, this is a good setup, yes? Because it has the 5-Star Tunes included.

Why a tuner? I think the truck performs great. Towing the camper, power was not really an issue. Certain hills caused the truck to get into 3rd gear. But in my 3.5-hour drive, that was only a couple of times. I would say this is more of a "fun" upgrade. I need the ability to change the speedo due to tires. I would like more insight into the tranny temp, oil temp, etc. I am unsure how much these devices provide, but I am looking for more engine detail. I also have no idea where I would set it up. I have seen different ones, but some of the holders don't work well based on reviews.

Sorry if I took the topic too far off track.