Tuning Question (human interface)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Up until now, Platinum got the high output engine, but no more. Since I wanted Platinum for other reasons, I've accepted I'll have to go aftermarket for the tuning needed for reaching the full potential of the engine.

How does tuning work from the user experience perspective, though? Let's assume 5Star or Livernois for the sake of discussion.

So, I'll buy the tuning device and select the tuning programs that I want for it. And then, what? Do I leave this thing dangling from my ODB2 port any time I want to use it? Or is it merely a programmer that I can disconnect once the tunes are loaded?

What should impact the device that I ultimately select?

How do I select different tunes when I want to use them?

How do the tunes interact with my drive mode select knob? Do I choose which drive mode to load which tune into? Could I program only Sport Mode and leave Tow/Hauling and Eco in stock configuration? Or could I get cute and put a highly agressive tune over the Eco mode?

Thanks!

(Also, wasn't 5Star a preferred vendor? I'm sure I used to see a subforum for them.)

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't say how all the products operate but I can tell you how mine works. I have an SCT Tuner, model is X-Cal 4. Was around $400. Then you buy custom tune files and they will email them to you. You load them on your tuner and plug it into the vehicle. You then load it into the vehicle, and should also have extra options you can also adjust like idle speed and shift pressure etc. Once you upload it, your done and you can unplug the tuner. Only need the tuner to upload the tune or return it to stock.

I tried to use 5 Star and they were basically too busy to deal with me, and gave me a base tune file that ended up being useless on a Friday just minutes before they closed for the weekend. I still can't get a hold of them and it's Wednesday. They rarely answer their phone, and sometimes respond to my emails. It took two weeks just to get the base tune file from them, and then I found out they locked out all my tuner options like my idle speed adjustment etc. I had to factory reset my tuner to reenable the adjustment options and that forced the tuner to delete my custom VCT lockout tune that was in it when I bought it.

This morning I found a place called Southern Speed Inc, (SSi Performance). I sent them a request for some info and within minutes they replied. He said he's got over 20 years experience and will custom make the file exactly how I want it. So for instance, I tow a boat every week. He can alter the shift points, downshift points, timing and everything for towing. I think he can even make it downshift while decelerating (like towing mode on some vehicles) but I'm not positive yet. I bought a package deal of 2 tune files for $215. He's been responding to every question via email within a few minutes every time. That's good customer service.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on what is going on with the SSi performance tune, he actually worked on the tunes for me and emailed me two files within a few hours of me paying. I can't believe it, I waited weeks from the other place. He said to let him know if it's gonna do what I need, and if not he'll adjust. Tomorrow I'll have my dashboard back in and be able to see how his tune files work.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
MPT Tuning is the way to go, I have tried a few.

If you are looking just for performance & do not need any mods for towing performance and or additional cooling for towing, then the first place I would spend my money would be on a tuner & tunes. The MPT tuning team is the best there is out there! Very spot-on out tunes right of the gate, very responsive with phone & email support, unlike some others I have used previously, that can sell you mod parts all day, but then you can’t hardly get a hold of them to correct & fix their lousy tunes. Mike, the head tuner is amazing with his tuning skills on these Ford EB motors. Would not hesitate to recommend MPT tuning in Florida.

…& yes I am a paying customer & no, I am not related & no I have not received any remuneration in any way to say this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze