Turbo wastegate questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can easily think of half a dozen class action lawsuits that could be made against Ford based on their ridiculous denials of thousands of peoples legitimate warranty claims
yea

I just think its dumb when I complain to them about constant rattle noise at cold start And normal driving and they come back and say its "normal wastegate noise". I feel like Ford should have had something informing people that paid over $55,000 for a new vehicle that eventually the turbos will rattle. They say the noise is normal so they dont have to pay. Mines rattle at startup for 30 seconds on both sides, then quites down after the adjustment. But whenever i rev the engine they rattle and when I accelerate they rattle loudly. so bad

itsjammin

Reaction score
For a newer 2018 owner, can someone show me a video or diagram of where the wastegate is located? I’ve looked up a few videos but hard to get a clear idea because mine are rattling and I’m wanting to place the springs on them.

Thanks!

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For a newer 2018 owner, can someone show me a video or diagram of where the wastegate is located? I’ve looked up a few videos but hard to get a clear idea because mine are rattling and I’m wanting to place the springs on them.

Thanks!
Mine hasn't started yet. There are a few pics out there. I just read most of the time it's the linkage causing the rattle. The spring makes it stop faster but grease and an e-clip stops the rattle.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are several videos out there, of folks with F150's for example that show the spring install. I tried to get under there and do mine but I think you have to remove the wheels and pull apart the fender linings to really get to it. Just haven't had the time. I had both of my turbos replaced and it took 9 months of fighting with Ford, with less than 10 miles on a pretty expensive car. They almost wanted to do a buy back, seriously, over this?

Anyway, I think it might be the Makuloco guy that did a video of the turbo during a replacement and he literally shows you the wastegate door that is responsible for the sound. It's just a bad design destined to wear out for everyone. Funny, I read even the new Toyota TT has started having wastegate issues, wonder if they use the same turbo manufacturer...

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the springs with the wheels on the ground. If you know what you’re feeling for it’s easy. Fixed my rattle on cold start by about 95%. Took about 2 minutes per side to feel around for the anchor points.

There is also a TSB that you can maybe get them to do. I’m going to try to get them to do it next time I’m in for service. The TSB is for 2017 F-150’s but I believe we have the same setup.