Turbo wastegate questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bones

Reaction score
My 2018 wastegates are ready to be replaced. I have 90,000 and they have be rattling for the last 30,000. I had the cam phasers replaced so I know the sound they make when they go bad and that isn't the cause of the rattle at start-up. I think the wastegate replacement is covered with my extended warranty.

#1. Is the engine oil replaced when the wastegates are replaced?

#2. On an average how long does the dealership take for the replacement?

#3. Any disadvantages not having them replaced?

#4. Any disadvantages having them replaced?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 wastegates are ready to be replaced. I have 90,000 and they have be rattling for the last 30,000. I had the cam phasers replaced so I know the sound they make when they go bad and that isn't the cause of the rattle at start-up. I think the wastegate replacement is covered with my extended warranty.

Ford will not replace under warranty or extended warranty. They say that the noise is "normal" wastegate noise and does not cause functional issue. I know this cause both my turbo wastegates rattle like crazy, I brought her to the dealer and they say its normal and will not replace them. When I brought it in I was still under the manufacturer powertrain warranty (58,000) miles AND have a Ford PremiumCare extended service plan after the 60,000.

If they do replace yours, please update us on this and how you got them to replace them.. I have heard from some people that Ford would only replace the turbos/wastegates if you were still low on miles after buying new like around no more than 20,000 miles.

Ford knows about the rattle that develops eventually with these turbos. Its a manufacturer flaw but Ford will not put any type of recall on them since its mainly a noise issue. If they did put a recall or whatever on it they would be replacing almost every 3.5 liter ecoboost turbo for free, which would prolly put Ford out of Business

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Some people have added small springs to the linkage to keep them from rattling saving a ton of work for new ones.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two things here. I have had both turbos replaced, at less than 10k miles for this rattle. It was a completely nightmare to get Ford to agree to do it, it took almost 9 months of fighting Ford customer care, with weekly requests to escalate. They almost offered to just buy it back because of this. UNREAL!

With that said, it was about a 2 day job from start to finish. And I don't believe the replaced the oil at that time. But I can't be sure.

Finally, I have springs ready to go, but when I look at the process to install them, I'll have to wait until I have both front wheels off. And yes, I'm slowly but surely getting the rattle back at 36k miles.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our Raptor has the same noise and Ford said it was normal. Like mentioned above it is not a functional issue. Did a lot of research and it is correct.

APExpo

Reaction score
Is the Wastegate rattle still an issue on the newer engines, like ‘21 and up? Like others have said, Ford refused to replace them on my ‘18, but I keep hoping they’ll update the part on the newer models like they (supposedly) have done with the cam phasers.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never heard the waste gate rattle on my 2018 with 27000 miles. If a brand new one does it, then it is normal. If it is very noisy and the brand new one does not do it, then it is not normal and I would be contacting an attorney. Sounds like a class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never heard the waste gate rattle on my 2018 with 27000 miles. If a brand new one does it, then it is normal. If it is very noisy and the brand new one does not do it, then it is not normal and I would be contacting an attorney. Sounds like a class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.
Good points

Its only normal if they made this noise new as well.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wastegates in my 2018 rattled just about all the time even when hot and could be heard in a drive thru as well as cold starts at about 65k. I also noticed the boost gauge would fluctuate about 2 or 3 psi on steady load highway driving. Dealer changed the turbos which includes them as well as the oil feed line with filters for both turbos as well as the return line and they’ve been quiet for 5k and no boost fluctuation. Car never set a check engine light while the boost fluctuated. The tech mentioned there was some rattle from the wastegate rod but most of it was at the hinge and shaft point for the wastegate doors inside the turbos turbine housing.