Turning Off Interior Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShanePat

Reaction score
CNG conversion

My wife found a guy in Austin, TX, whose original quote is $6,000 to add compressed natural gas. The natural gas tank will be installed where the spare tire is. So, the inconvenience is to put the spare in back. It may never pay off. But buying the equivalent of $1.60/gal for fuel is good and the clean burning CNG reduces our pollution of having 3 vehicles.
The cost is something we planned for which is why we bought a 98 in the year 2010. The used lot would sell the Expy to us for $5,000 but then we also traded in a 2000 Toyota minivan.

We'd rather install a much smaller gas tank and then add the CNG in the extra space provided. But that apparently wouldn't be feasible.

When we get close to having it done, I'll start a thread with the details.

In the meantime, I'm learning how to be a very junior backyard mechanic for this rig. Never even changed spark plugs before.

Last edited:

ShanePat

Reaction score
WD-40 sprayed in locks, good for related problem.

I was hoping someone had a solution to this. I hate that the whole car lights up at night

I realize that the original concern here was turning out interior lights while door/hatch was open. But just in case anyone had my problem of the lights and door ajar light staying on when all the doors were closed... this worked like a charm!:

Originally Posted by jeff1998 View Post
I looked on other sites and asked a mechanic. He said to spray WD 40 in all the door locks. The sensor gets gummed up and does not work. I did it and they have all worked for 2 weeks now.

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hated the lights on with the rear hatch and glass up. I just took the rear hatch inner trim off and unplugged both of the latch sensors. Now I can leave the door up all day at the job and the lights never come on.

rossao1

Reaction score
I still want a real answer!

I find hard to believe that Ford would not have a simple way to dis-able the lights!:(

We went to a drive in theater (remember those?) backed in, open the hatch, and I fought the interior lights for over half an hour! I gave up, and then closed the hatch and listened to the two nearest chevy trucks play the sound track.:eek:

I am cheesed to say the least! Embarassed too! I have only owned this truck 5 months. I say this is a flaw, that needs a better rememdy. :confused:

I'll put a switch on the rear hatch if I have too, but please, there has to be a better way. BTW I own a 2002 xlt. with the light up running boards. It lights up like a feaking lighthouse.

Last edited:

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about the 98 but on my 05 to turn out the dome and door lights I turn the dash dimmer adjustment all the way to the end and it turns out all the lights in the vehicle.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i pull fuse 24 i think dont have my manual here atm or relay 1(top left) on the inside panel under the steering column. mines a 97. and i go to drive-ins too much fun.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Solution to rear window open & lights off.

here a solution to the rear hatch. my friends step dad has an 02 expedition and when u open the hatch theres a latch inside the hole that the loop on the window goes into. if u press that in all the way the lights go out. so u can go to the drive inns or let ur truck air out and not worry about the lights. and to unlock it press the unlock button. it pops back up so u can close ur window again. now if u have the doors open and want the lights out idk? i was wondering that too, but the hidden latch works best for me. hope that helps to everyone who has that problem.