Manually disabling interior lights on 2002/Gen1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonyhome

Reaction score
Is there a simple solution control with a switch disabling of interior lights?

I want to be able to turn off the lights when doors are open, for when I camp in the truck.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want to be able to turn off the lights when doors are open,
There is a switch for that, to bad it's on the 2004.
No way to cut the lights unless you get a battery quick disconnect.

OP
OP
S

sonyhome

Reaction score
I was gonna put a battery disconnect anyways :) But I'd love to control that somehow. Maybe I can tap a switch near the fuse box.
Are there schematics online for the Expedition like there is for the other cars I have? A helms like document would be handy. :p

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Following
Don't forget to take pics and post whatever your solution. people will be interested in this.

OP
OP
S

sonyhome

Reaction score
Interior lights diagram...

Running board can be disabled by fuse 15. They're not really useful.
Lights are controlled by GEM which controls 2 relays.

There are relays, and the diagram shows a main light switch that cuts the ground on the interior lamp relay.

Ford Explorer:

It turns out it's the same diagram, and same color codes for wires I looked at.

=> "I looked at the wiring diagrams, and you can install a toggle switch inline off the LT GRN/ORG coming from the battery saver relay."

=> "The thumb wheel switch controls the interior lights. Push it up all the way and they stay on forever, and pushed down all the way, they all turn off no matter what."

=> Diagram posted shows door ajar switch are fed to GEM, which is connected to the battery saver (purple/orange) and interior light (light green/orange) relays, likely grounding them. It's a better diagram than the one above, it has the door ajar switches shown.

My take is disable the interior light relay, (black/light blue) and not the battery saver relay. That means you can still use the map lights manually but I think the door ajar would not trigger turning on all the lights.

By putting a switch there it's like closing the doors with that switch.

Attachments

• interior-lights-courtesy-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 5