Two cooling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

effingpot

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2015 XLT and live in England. It's been 38 centigrade (that's almost 100F) which is pretty unheard of. For the last few days a loud fan has been coming on immediately after starting the engine - I hear it under the bonnet/hood and it's quite loud. The aircon is on but then it always is, so not really different to usual apart from it's warmer outside - is this normal?

Second thing - when I start the engine - the airconn is set to the coldest postiion (I don't have climate control). It always starts to pump out warm air until I turn the dial to warm or hot - wait a second and then turn it back - again is that normal od do I have a faulty dial or something?

Thanks guys
Cheers
mike

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fan sound is normal.

For the temp select issue, how soon after you start the engine are you moving the temp dial? The AC can take 30 seconds to a minute before cold air starts to come out of the vents, especially on hot days. It isn't instantly cold air.

OP
OP
effingpot

effingpot

Reaction score
I think I wait longer than that but I'll leave it for a while more next time. It seems odd that a flick one way then back again makes an instant change to cold though. It really does come out quite warm to start with.
thanks
Mike

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The possibility remains that it is exactly as you've described. If so, that ain't normal.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That describes weak A/C's in just about every random old car I've ever been in

Maybe it just needs some refrigerant??

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2015 XLT and live in England. It's been 38 centigrade (that's almost 100F) which is pretty unheard of. For the last few days a loud fan has been coming on immediately after starting the engine - I hear it under the bonnet/hood and it's quite loud. The aircon is on but then it always is, so not really different to usual apart from it's warmer outside - is this normal?

Second thing - when I start the engine - the airconn is set to the coldest postiion (I don't have climate control). It always starts to pump out warm air until I turn the dial to warm or hot - wait a second and then turn it back - again is that normal od do I have a faulty dial or something?

Thanks guys
Cheers
mike
Hi Mike,

IF yours has an electric radiator fan like mine does it is quite loud when it is as hot as you described. Last week where I was the the temperature was about 96F and I was surprised how loud it was.

As far as your temperature selector know. If you don't have automatic climate control, you will have to manually move the knob to the max or cold position to get it to blow the coldest air. You can try turning the temperature knob to max when you park your vehicle for the evening then when you start the engine the next day take note of whether or not it gets cold faster. As Adieu mentioned, you might need refrigerant, but I would ask your local service station, or dealership to check it out because if your warranty is like here in the states, it should still be under warranty.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI - an ac system will take a good minute of running to bring the evaporator down to the operating temp and stabilize. Now add in all the latent heat in the system that it needs to remove. That will take longer.
So in the first minute you should feel cooling / less humid air and cold air in 2-3 minutes.
If I remember to record it, I'll post the recovery unit's gauges operating while the students are working on a semi.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks guys
Cheers
mike

I own a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 that I ordered and bought new.

Last year during 95 degree (F) temperatures, the cooling fans began to "roar" on my Expediton. I use the vehicle for passenger use only, and do not haul or tow with it.

I was so concerned with the loud roaring noise (it did not happen during the summer of 2015 when I bought the vehicle) that I took it to the dealer.

The dealer service representative stated the noise was normal during very hot temperatures, but there was a TSB to reprogram the HVAC system. That was done.

Recently during very hot, humid weather again, the fans began the roaring noise when I stopped. I suspect there is an "extra high" setting in the car's computer that turns the fans on a higher speed during high ambient temperatures. There is nothing mentioned in the vehicle owner's manual about the roaring, high speed cooling fan operation.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 that I ordered and bought new.

Last year during 95 degree (F) temperatures, the cooling fans began to "roar" on my Expediton. I use the vehicle for passenger use only, and do not haul or tow with it.

I was so concerned with the loud roaring noise (it did not happen during the summer of 2015 when I bought the vehicle) that I took it to the dealer.

The dealer service representative stated the noise was normal during very hot temperatures, but there was a TSB to reprogram the HVAC system. That was done.

Recently during very hot, humid weather again, the fans began the roaring noise when I stopped. I suspect there is an "extra high" setting in the car's computer that turns the fans on a higher speed during high ambient temperatures. There is nothing mentioned in the vehicle owner's manual about the roaring, high speed cooling fan operation.
I experienced the same thing a couple of weeks go we were in Pennsylvania and the ambient temperature was about 97 deg f. the cooling fan was very loud. I could hear in inside the truck.