Two weight rating question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, as most of you know, I tow a fairly large Travel trailer, its 33' long, and has a GVWR or 7600lbs. I am in the approx weight of 7100 to 7200.

My 2003 EB, 5.4 4x4 Expedition handles it good, have a Prodigy Brake controller, and Equalizer E4 hitch, LT rated tires, as I said it handles just fine just doesn't have alot of power to pull it great. I usually stay in the 60 MPH range on the highway. We usually stay within 60 miles of home.

The question is: My door sticker says 7300lbs, but the owners manual says 8650 WITH weight distribution. I have the larger Trans cooler, have never been about 193° temp when towing. I am just making sure I am not over loaded. I have had the trailer since March, and have used it 9 times so far. We are looking/thinking about a new Truck/SUV next spring( used but new to me), I'd like a new F150 3.5 with Max tow package, but would the 2.7 do it? Or even another Expedition? I only plan on keeping the trailer for another 3 years, and then we will upgrade to a bigger one in the 10k GVWR range. If I were to get the 2.7 I would lease it, possibly lease a 3.5 too.

I guess I am thinking out loud and weighing my options. But, is my Expedition ok now?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With that weight I would be looking at an 3/4 ton truck minimum, for the brakes and gears to handle it. A 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins diesel is also a great option. But any 3/4 ton truck is a better tow option than the light duty 1/2 tons out there. I don't know why people always try to get by with the bare minimum.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will probably buy a 3/4 ton F250. But a new F150 with 3.5 and max tow package is rated for 12700lbs. That's amazing for a 1/2 ton!

But was hoping someone would tell me if I am over weight now? As I said, the door says 7300 but the owners manual says 8650 WITH weight distribution. Am I ok for now? What does your door sticker say if you have the heavy duty tow package?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton naming convention for lighter and heavier duty trucks is majorly outdated.... modern "light trucks" are oftentimes beefier than old tractor-trailers

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will probably buy a 3/4 ton F250. But a new F150 with 3.5 and max tow package is rated for 12700lbs. That's amazing for a 1/2 ton!

But was hoping someone would tell me if I am over weight now? As I said, the door says 7300 but the owners manual says 8650 WITH weight distribution. Am I ok for now? What does your door sticker say if you have the heavy duty tow package?

With a 5.4 liter engine, standard tow package, 2-wheel drive the gross trailer weight capacity is 6,000 pounds. With optional tow package it is 8,900 pounds.

If it is a 4x4 then with standard tow package the capacity is 6,000 pounds. With optional tow package the capacity is 8,600 pounds.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know what the book says, maybe I don't drive it hard enough and baby it to much? I drove it harder yesterday when going camping, and seemed to run just fine. As I said, it always handles good, just wish for more power... And yesterday I drive it harder and all was good. Even got about 9.8 MPG towing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These higher ratings on the half tons are mostly marketing and ad rights. They don’t handle as well when you get up there. An F-250 with the standard 6.2L V8 will tow much better and more comfortably than a max tow F-150 EcoBoost, not to mention a lot safer. An expy will handle the weight but as always drive with care. The 5.4 3V and 3.5 with the 6 speeds def have more pulling guts but at the end of the day more acceleration isn’t everything. Once your up to speed it’s all handling and braking that matters. The expy is pretty good when it comes to handling when compared to the other full size offerings. If you feel like your white knuckled driving it’s bigger truck time, but it sounds like yours is towing comfortably.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are planning on a F250 next year, but it doesn't feel like white knuckles ever now...