Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurDre

Reaction score
Finally got around to trying the update out. First try resulted in the the screen throwing an error indicating the USB drive files were corrupt and to re-download them. I removed and reinserted the USB drive and the car no longer recognized (or indicated) it was a Sync update USB drive. Performed a Factory Reset of Sync and re-tried the USB drive - success. Took just over 37 minutes to complete the upgrade. So far, no issues noted and we are very happy with the results. Thanks to the community here and CyanLabs for the heavy lifting. Now on to the next "fix" for the car...

EDIT: Only took a single 16GB drive in my case.

Overtow

Reaction score
Finally got around to trying the update out. First try resulted in the the screen throwing an error indicating the USB drive files were corrupt and to re-download them. I removed and reinserted the USB drive and the car no longer recognized (or indicated) it was a Sync update USB drive. Performed a Factory Reset of Sync and re-tried the USB drive - success. Took just over 37 minutes to complete the upgrade. So far, no issues noted and we are very happy with the results. Thanks to the community here and CyanLabs for the heavy lifting. Now on to the next "fix" for the car...

EDIT: Only took a single 16GB drive in my case.

Did you end up going with 3.4.22110? I presume you went with the 2.21 North American maps?

3 weeks in, any issues?

Getting ready to take the leap with my 2018....

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let us know what maps you get. My version 3.4.21265 has Maps NA 2 20 and is behind my Garmins (plural) in many respects.

-- Chuck
The Map Update is separate than the software version. You can do one, the other or both. There are some challenges with the 2020/2021.

Overtow

Reaction score
Let us know what maps you get. My version 3.4.21265 has Maps NA 2 20 and is behind my Garmins (plural) in many respects.

-- Chuck

The latest option I see for Sync Version in Syn3 (2.11.4.0) is 3.4.22110 and the maps version I selected is NA 2 20 (latest in the dropdown). My truck (Aug/2018) is still running 3.0.19205 which I assume was the factory version and I suspect may affect which options I can choose from the dropdown. I just tried changing options and I'm not seeing 3.4.21265 as an option - how did you get to this version?

Edit 8/14/22 - I just realized I was reading your version incorrectly....I thought you had said 3.4.22265 - disregard the question above, 22265 is not a valid version (yet).

FWIW, the supposedly 'stable' version of Syn3 that I am running is anything <but> stable.

I'll update once I hear back from @SurDre that his experience post-update has been positive. I'm an IT guy and hate being first for changes like this. :D

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Fairly cool day so I sat out in the Expedition in the driveway and updated Sync 3.4 to the latest build 22110 (from 21265) and Maps 2 21 (from 2 20 and still 18 months out of date).

Started with a clean USB drive. Download to it took a while as I did other things. Installation in the truck took maybe 30 minutes. Wiped out all the navigation data among other things -- as usual -- and still very much not appreciated.

Anyone just update the maps?
Curious if all the navigation data is lost by this method. Won't know if the map updates did anything for me for a couple of days.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The latest option I see for Sync Version in Syn3 (2.11.4.0) is 3.4.22110 and the maps version I selected is NA 2 20 (latest in the dropdown). My truck (Aug/2018) is still running 3.0.19205 which I assume was the factory version and I suspect may affect which options I can choose from the dropdown. I just tried changing options and I'm not seeing 3.4.21265 as an option - how did you get to this version?

Edit 8/14/22 - I just realized I was reading your version incorrectly....I thought you had said 3.4.22265 - disregard the question above, 22265 is not a valid version (yet).

FWIW, the supposedly 'stable' version of Syn3 that I am running is anything <but> stable.

I'll update once I hear back from @SurDre that his experience post-update has been positive. I'm an IT guy and hate being first for changes like this. :D
@Overtow What year is your Expedition? 2020+ Have a different Firmware on the APIM than Chucks 17. You will notice the 2020 Protection option in the CyanLabs installer. DO NOT uncheck that. If you run certain updates on a 2020+ without the protection there is a great risk it will brick. Based on your current version number, and the fact Ford is telling you it is up to date on that version, I am guessing you are a 2018/2019, because you most likely do not have the 2020+ APIM. In that case do the install and let it rip. You won't have any issues.

Fairly cool day so I sat out in the Expedition in the driveway and updated Sync 3.4 to the latest build 22110 (from 21265) and Maps 2 21 (from 2 20 and still 18 months out of date).

Started with a clean USB drive. Download to it took a while as I did other things. Installation in the truck took maybe 30 minutes. Wiped out all the navigation data among other things -- as usual -- and still very much not appreciated.

Anyone just update the maps?
Curious if all the navigation data is lost by this method. Won't know if the map updates did anything for me for a couple of days.

-- Chuck
Ford's updates for some of this will not clear the Nav Data, because the install is tailored to the VIN and Serial Number of Sync. CyanLabs install uses a different method, that will always clear the data if the Nav is part of the process. If you are doing an "upgrade" to just the apps, it should not clear the nav data. I don't do the Nav updates anymore, we just use Sync and Waze for Nav in the Expy. Not worth it.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I've asked this before but forgot the answer.

I have an early build 21(Feb) and have my Sync 3 updated to the latest the Ford site will give me. The terrestrial radio album art and station logos do not show up. I saw on CyanLabs a mention of a way to update the firmware so this feature will work but I cannot find clear instructions. Has anyone done this?