Update on 2017 Expedition Block Heater Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale Powell

Reaction score
This is an update on my earlier post looking for information about block heater installation on the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have a former California rental, and live in Palmer, Alaska. Of course it had no winterization done on it at all, and did not come from one of the states that get the freeze plug heater automatically.

The dealer quoted over $800 to install the freeze plug heater, it requires a Turbo removal etc. I decided to try the Kats dry fit thermostat housing 400 watt heater. I got some thermal grease (no, not dielectric grease) and installed it in about 15 minutes. The thermal grease is a must, that heater gets very hot and heat transfer is crucial.

I also installed a 150 watt silicone pad heater on the oil pan, and a 100 watt on the transmission pan. The pan heaters were a pain, had to remove the covers etc.

Using an infrared thermometer I checked several area, the AC cord attachment was about 90 degrees, and the body of the heater around 300 degrees. The heater does a good job, and greatly speeds up engine warm up. The heater starts blowing warm air in just a couple minutes. It is not as effective as a freeze plug heater I am sure, but good enough.

I am familiar with the recall and problems that have been reported on this style of heater, I used dielectric grease in the connector and I am keeping a close watch on it.

The instrument panel has transmission fluid temperature, the pan heater increases the fluid by about 50 degrees above ambient temp if it is plugged in for several hours. We are having some cold weather right now 10 to 20 below, and I am happy with the results. I plug in from +20 and colder, at least 2-3 hours. At work it stays plugged in.

A couple other observations: the heater in the Ecoboost does not produce as much heat as a V8 but that should not be a surprise. It is good while it is working on the highway, but on a long downhill at cold temperatures, the temp gauge will drop down quite a ways. Not enough of a problem to put a cold front on though, lots of heat at highway speed.

Fuel economy? After 15K miles, 21.3 MPG average. About 22.5 in summer with Michelins, 18.5 now with studded snow tires, lots of 4 wheel drive and cold WX. 90% highway usage.

20191123_192301.jpg 20191123_191346.jpg

Last edited:

AKFordTrekR

Reaction score
Dale,
How have you been liking Alaska? I live down in Anchorage and recently picked up a 2020 Stealth Expedition from the southern US. It does not have a block heater and I was looking for options. I know a lot of people use the head pads, I even had them on my F-150 that this ride replaced. My question to you is, how has that other blocker heater worked for you that goes into a slot in the block and radiates heat into the block?
Thanks,