Updated brakes on 06 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cougarmandan

Reaction score
I have been having some trouble with my 06 Expedition getting warped rotors. I have read that Ford put out a TSB and redesigned the rotors and calipers to help with the warping problem, but from what I read you need to change out both. We bought it new and I have like 105k miles on it and and its had warped rotors on it almost since it was new. Its been a while but the dealership had turned the rotors and had to replace the rotor a month late and the replacements didn't last very long. I have ignored it for a long time but its getting pretty bad. I was looking at getting some new rotors, but I wasn't sure if there was a brand that works better. I know that in 07 Ford went a thicker rotor and used a matching wider caliper. I was thinking about getting set of 07 up calipers and rotors for it. Has anyone tried to upgrade to the newer stuff. Is the updated rotor and caliper the same as the 07 up. Will the 07 Caliper bolt onto 06 bracket?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the updated part, but I've had Wagner rotors and pads for a while now. Can't say I've had warping problems. Also, the brake dust was reduced significantly even though they aren't ceramic. Are you still using OEM pads and rotors?

Mine's an 03, BTW.

OP
OP
C

cougarmandan

Reaction score
I put a set of thermoquiets on when I did the brakes the last time. When I took it to Ford after the rotors warped shortly after that, I would bet they put new pads on because they charged me for a "brake job." Rotors were motorcraft

I went ahead and bought the calipers and brackets from the 07. So do they bolt up, will they work. Well, kinda, but yes and looks like it, but I don't know yet. I took it out the shop and before I removed the wheel, I noticed that there is only 3/8th an inch or so wheel clearance around the caliper so I thought it wasn't gonna work. I pulled the wheel off and unbolted the caliper and bracket. I compared the brackets and the 07 is huge, but the mounting holes are in the same spot. I went to bolt it on and the bottom bolt wouldn't thread because the bracket was hitting part of the spindle. It was just aluminum that was just hanging down there. I check real good before I did anything, but wound up making clearance on the spindle by notching it with a die grinder. THen the bracket bolted on fine and so I bolted the caliper on. and put the wheel back on and the 07 caliper is clearanced for the wheel so it had about a quarter inch between it and the wheel. Everything spun fine so I took it back apart. I never took the brake hose off the caliper of the expedition so I reassembled all the stuff back on the truck. I ordered some Motorcraft 07 front rotors, and 06 rear rotors, and thermoquiet pads from rockauto. We will see how it goes, but so far, everything looks good for the 07 big brake conversion.