Upgrade brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing what I guess is my '05's first brake job. I will be replacing rotors with drilled or slotted and ceramic pads. I tow a sometimes 7,000lb trailer, so I'd like to look into bigger rotors and four or six piston non floating calipers just for the front. If they were available, I know Brembo's would be through the roof, but there are also good brands like Wilwood. Again, like I complained in another thread, it doesn't look like they're available for an '05. I do understand that you would need a bracket to extend the carrier for the bigger calipers and larger dia. rotors. When I do a search for Brembo on eBay, what comes up, AND CRACKS ME UP, are these fake red covers that say "Brembo" that you put over your stock calipers. Yeah, it probably looks cool, but really?

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If ya wanna get better stopping, get those ebc rotors, with the corresponding pads, I know they have some specifically for heavy applications, and if you really want to, stainless steel braided brake lines, because I have had two brake lines already go out and they are not all that hard to install. new fluid is somthing that is severly over looked almost all the time

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 13" brakes aren't big enough? here are some 15" brembos. only cost an arm leg and your pet

That's what I meant by "through the roof". Just plain ridiculous.
I've seen other Brembo kits at Summit for half that.
Wilwoods gotta be a lot cheaper if they got a kit, but Summit hasn't responded to my inquiry. Must be 'cause it's an Expy or 15 inch. 'Rather replace the twin electric brakes on the trailer with four disc surge/electric combo for a fraction of that.

Yeah, I've had the EBC pads/rotors planned all along for the quick fix. When I changed out the rubber brake hoses for SS on my bikes, they always eliminated the spongy feel. My wife lost the brakes on our old '97 XLT when the front left OEM brake line gave way due to rust through of the metal tube part of the line. Pretty scary. You'd think that they would have some kind of diagonal braking system where if one of the wheels went out, you would still have a front and rear brake. Some of my old foreign cars had that, and I thought it would be a mandatory safety feature.

Todd TCE

Reaction score
I explored the production of a front and or rear kit for your truck some time ago. The problems were mainly two fold; first to get any decent value from the purchase the rotor needs to be a good 14" or larger- making it a requirement for 18" or larger wheels. Second was the price point as you mention- any decent kit like that (and performs like you think it will yes) will run you $2500 per axle or more. No matter how hard you look you won't find $2500 brake performance for $400, it just doesn't work that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev