PowerStop, Hawk, Akebono, EBC, Bosch, Centric and even Brembo brake pads. So many options with so little reviews and info!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20Expy

Reaction score
I'm in the market for new brake pads since the OEM ones wear out way too fast for our light use (never towed). I also recently watched a video from the channel Engineering Explained that talked about mechanical attachments between the friction material and the backing plate itself. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oIJixuvRoQ. Although the video is sponsored by NRS, the guy is still pretty trustworthy in my opinion, you should check out his video if you have time. At 12:38 in the video, it shows an image of vehicles that the OEM specified the need for mechanical attachments in their brake pads, which included the 2nd and 3rd Gen Expeditions. Since the 4th gen isn't that much lighter, I suspected that they also need mech attachments, but the image seemed outdated with cars only up to around 2016-ish. Can't find any info elsewhere if the 4th Gens requires mech attachments on the brake pads.

PowerStops and Hawks I've seen are recommended the most on our forum, but how about the other ones? Does anyone have experience on any other pads that they can share? I'm particularly curious about the Brembo pads, that currently sell at my local Canadian Tire for about $120 USD for full set. Brembo used to be known for good quality, right? And lastly, do any of these pads, other than NRS pads (mentioned in the video) for $300 US (full set) have mechanical attachments? Hope to hear from some Expy experts about mechanical attachments, because I am really curious about it and I don't see it mentioned enough!

Any opinion is really appreciated! Thank you all!

EDIT: Forgot to mention Pro-Series as well, seems like they have a lot of products as well.

Last edited:

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mack444

Reaction score
I haven’t changed anything on my timberline so far, but I had the below on my 2002 Excursion PSD that I towed often with and they were an amazing combo. Once pads start to fade on the timberline, the links are what I will get.

Slotted Frozen Rotors: https://frozenrotors.com/front-left-frozen-rotors-slotted-3133-fzr-sl.html

Hawk pads:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can attest to powerstop, I've used their products on my last three vehicles including this expy and have been great. I travel mountain passes a lot and needed something that wouldn't warp when you drop 4k ft and then have to sit at a stand still in the inevitable overcrowded I70. The factory rotors warped pretty early on. These are doing great and look nice too.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two things come to mind with brake pads. Personally I've used Power Stop which performed as advertised. Anyway, To get the best performance one should "bed" the pads after installation. Also, when after getting the brakes hot, if possible, when stopping at a red light or traffic don't sit with your foot on the brake.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you are asking about pads but remember to also replace your rotors when you do this. the slotted and drilled are well worth the money for longevity.
Drilled does not add to longevity. Quite the opposite, it can lead to more fairlure points. Also less surface area. Drilled have there place, but not generally in high weight applications.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So with brakes, generally, pad life and performance can’t be had at the same time. Generally better braking performance means less pad life. Quality pads like some you have mentioned can contradict that to a point.

I am a fan a quality slotted Rotor(NOT Drilled), and a quality pad designed for heavier vehicles.

I would probably go with the StopTech Cryo Slotted rotors, and the Hawk LTS pads.

Driven many racecars, drilled is great for them, but for heavy vehicles under higher constant load, not the right thing in my opinion, seen to many failures and cracks caused by the drilled holes. Less surface area. Slots are more beneficial at clearing the gases, and don’t introduce structural issues.

Hawk LTS pads are designed for heavy SUV/Truck applications. The Super Duty pad will probably last longer than the LTS, but with more sound.

I do recommend replacing your Rotors with better than OEM, but it is in now way a requirement, as long as they are in good condition, aren’t warped, and don’t vibrate.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used EBC on cars in the past but was not impressed and switched to Bosch for cars. For heavier vehicles the Hawk LT pads work great, even while towing. I've heard Stoptech Z36 package is good as well but haven't tried it myself. My trailer has brakes and I mostly tow on flat ground, so I haven't felt the need for anything that aggressive.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
So with brakes, generally, pad life and performance can’t be had at the same time. Generally better braking performance means less pad life. Quality pads like some you have mentioned can contradict that to a point.

I am a fan a quality slotted Rotor(NOT Drilled), and a quality pad designed for heavier vehicles.

I would probably go with the StopTech Cryo Slotted rotors, and the Hawk LTS pads.

Driven many racecars, drilled is great for them, but for heavy vehicles under higher constant load, not the right thing in my opinion, seen to many failures and cracks caused by the drilled holes. Less surface area. Slots are more beneficial at clearing the gases, and don’t introduce structural issues.

Hawk LTS pads are designed for heavy SUV/Truck applications. The Super Duty pad will probably last longer than the LTS, but with more sound.

I do recommend replacing your Rotors with better than OEM, but it is in now way a requirement, as long as they are in good condition, aren’t warped, and don’t vibrate.
My dealer was charging me 2.2k Canadian (1.6k US) for pads and rotors. I have another thread explaining all the details with pictures of my rotor here: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...d-rotors-replacement-quote-from-dealer.54873/

And lastly, do you know if Ford OEM specifies the need for mechanical attachments in their brake pads for the 4th Gen? If yes, do you know if Hawk pads have mechanical attachments?

Thank you all for the help, really appreciated!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire